The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I need someone to talk to - Help with pregnant rescue dog

Emilybrown

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone,

I am new to this so forgive me any mistakes!

I lost my dog just before Christmas to spleen cancer, my world was turned upside down. I still have his sister, which softens the blow some what. Anyhow, I decided to rescue a dog to keep my other company. We got Rosie 3 weeks ago who is a jack Russell cross just like my other, and is between 1-1and a half years old. She is beautiful, loving and a real joy.

I took her to the vets last week for her second set of jabs only to find out she is pregnant :( . The kennel and vet said that they never knew as if they did she would not have been rehomed. However, she has and I am petrified! I have never done this before. Many have told me to abort, but I can't as she is way past that.....I can't even kill a fly.....come on! People have scared me saying she could die as she may have mated with a big dog, or they could be inbred that's why she was dumped etc.... I am so frightened! She is booked for a scan on Monday, but I have not financially prepared for this! I had her insured the day I got her but I does not cover pregnancy or emergency c-sections. What am I going to do :(

Get back.to the rescue and really fight talk for some money help . There will.lots of people with what you can do law wise even thow there are a rescue they do have laws to abide by, as hey have said they wouldnt have rehomed, get the law on your side and try your hardest for the best result. Let us know what they say.

Hi,

Welcome.

Firstly, thank you for coming here to get help. The easiest thing to do would be to burry your head in the sand.

At this point it's probably not positive to think about the what ifs etc and probably best to deal with the facts as the 'what ifs' may not happen.

So, we have a pregnant dog. Do we know approximatly how many she is carrying? How far gone is she? Is she in general good health?

You mention that you are not financially ready, in which case I would be going back to the rescue that you got her from asking for some financial help as pregnancy should be one of the first things they should check for.

Is it a well known rescue or a smaller one?

I hope someone can help here who has experience in delivering pups.

I'm with lurcherman too- this should really not be your financial responsibility and the rescue should be helping you out both financially and with expertise of rearing and homing the puppies. Ring up, make an appointment to see the manager/head warden and discuss it with them. They must have a contingency for this sort of thing as it's a known risk for rehoming bitches when you aren't certain whether they have been spayed (and it's not practical to keep all bitches for 6 months to check whether they have a season, is it?).

If the rescue won't help then would you qualify to access PDSA or Blue Cross services? If not then I'd ring your local Dogs Trust branch and ask them for their advice on the best way forwards and whether they have any local services that could be used to help you, as they may be able to offer you some cheaper veterinary care or a voucher to cover part of the cost.

Even if all that you can get help with is the vet costs and some food for mum and babies, that's better than nothing and then you can just start learning as fast as possible how to help her out the best.

Lots of people recommend 'The Book of the Bitch' as being essential reading for this sort of thing too.

Good luck :)

crikey! Don't panic, this isn't your fault so whatever happens you've done your best. Don't let people worry you, about the big dog thing. I had similar worries when the dog at work (a jrt) got pregnant to a large springer. They were all born perfectly fine and resemble their mum in size more than their dad. I think nature has a way of working these things out, and also there is a physical limit to the height of the boy dog before he is unable to bend his knees enough to the deed, if thats not too coarse or blunt.

How long have you got before they are due? I'm sure you will be able to do the research in time to get yourself prepared for the big event. There will be plenty of folk on here who can help too.

I would look into worming of your mama dog, as this can have a huge bearing on future health of pups. All mothers pass some number of worms on, so a good worming regime is worth researching.

The rescue place must be offering you some help with this??? Rehoming and stuff also..

Don't panic, there is no point in panicking it will not help.... We will all do our best to support you!!!

i have read the book of the bitch. It is good, covers absolutely everything!

Omg I am so grateful to everyone of your replies it has brought a tear to my eyes! Rosie is just over 5 weeks. I spoke to the kennel who I got her from and they suggested abortion! I just can not do that, it would kill me especially just after losing my moony boy! The vet has been really good and I am thinking of asking for a payment plan so I can pay so much a month. The vet had to take an xray. Which showed 2 pups but I won't really know till Monday. I am going to search and buy that book that was mentioned thank you. I just hope it all goes well. I feel like a very nervous mummy. Rosie has been wormed and had all her injections. Thank you all so much for your support, I know its not my fault but I can't help feeling like poo! X x x x x

aaaaaw bless you! Don't feel like poo! You're about to be a granny, and you have in no way been irresponsible! What will be, will be, you can only do your best!

I take it you're having scans done to check out possibilities of size number or potential problems, this is all you can do to prepare yourself on that front, so, good on you!

The rescue centre folk seem pretty coldhearted, did they offer no other help than that??? I would ring them back daily till they came up with some other help! Also I would do as eingana says and contact all your local rescues, especially the dogs trust and ask for help or advice, they may be able to help, you never know. That book is also pretty comprehensive.

Chin up lass! You are about to witness a little miracle or two! :)

Can we name and shame? Maybe not dogs must come first!!!!! ARE YOU LISTENING RESCUE CENTER?

Oh bless your heart!!!

I am so shocked she was rehomed without them checking!

I'm sure your vet will agree to a payment plan if needed:) Fingers crossed a c-section won't be needed and everything goes smoothly.

Hello,

Please don't allow thoughtless people to scare you with their silly comments about death and such horrors.

I did breed Parson Russell puppies for a number of years and never had a bitch get into difficulty. If she has mated a bigger dog, (and that is unlikely), the worst case scenario is that she may need a C Section, but that isn't the end of the World.

All you can do now is be as prepared as you can. You will need a whelping box, but one can be made cheaply if you know someone handy with a hammer and saw! Build it around 3 foot by 3 foot, and on legs, just so it's out of drafts. Put it in a quiet but warm place where she can have privacy when her time comes.

Supervision is all that is usually needed, Mum will do the rest. When she does go into labour, you would expect a pup within a few minutes of her starting to push, then there will be a gap

between pups, sometimes it can be an hour. No need to worry, so long as she isn't pushing. If she pushes for twenty minutes without result, then a call to the vet is needed.

Bitches usually give birth on their expected date, but can go a couple of days over. The first signs of labour are trembling, panting, digging up of bedding and sometimes the bitch will vomit.

I take it your vet has advised you on worming? If not, do ask him.

I agree with everyone else that the Rescue Organisation has responsibility here. You've been left 'holding the baby', you shouldn't have to cover all vet bills too. I should speak to them and be as assertive as you can that you need help.

I'm a new member to this forum, but I hope to stay around as I think it is a lovely, friendly place.

Susan x

Great bit of advise Susan.

Speaking from someone who has never been involved in breeding I do think the above is well explained so thank you for that! :)

Thank you very much.

I haven't bred a litter for a number of years now, but used to when I was showing.

I'm more involved in the rescue side of things these days.

I'm sorry, Emilybrown, just realised I forgot to mention feeding, but it is very important.

About now, you need to put your bitch on a good quality, complete food and keep her on it right through until she finishes nursing her pups.

This is because she needs a good fat, protein and calcium source, to help her unborn pups develop and grow and to keep her healthy until her babies are weaned.

Susan x

Hello Susan, thank you for your kind response! Everyone on here has just been amazing! I have Rosie on a complete puppy food for high energy and have been mixing it with sardines, a little cottage cheese and wet food.....not all at once tho lol! I am so grateful for your advice and reassurance, I am just about to take her for her scan, so hopefully can get some idea of how far gone she is, and possibly how many little ones she will be having :) I spoke to a very nice vet today who explained everything to me and made me feel a lot at ease, he said Jack Russell's are the best a giving birth and rarely ever need help.....phew! I just want little Rosie to be fine, it looks asthough she has had a bad start in life, poor little love, and if anything happened I would be mortified and so would my little daughter! I will update later on results of the scan, and we keep updating till they are all born and all happy :) thank you to each and everyone of you, you are all super stars x x x x

Hi,

Your vet is right, it is unusual for a Jack Russell to have problems during whelping, so do try not to worry.

I'm new here, but everyone is so helpful and kind and I will certainly do my best to help too if you have any concerns or worries.

Would love to hear the results of the scan.

Susan x

Bless you thank you so much! I will be back on at 6pm with results :) my other dog Cassie is a parson, beautiful little lady. Sadly I lost her brother to spleen cancer just before Christmas, broke my heart! Xx

So sorry to hear about your sad loss.

It does break your heart ................. it's a horrible time to have to go through.

May your little man Rest in Peace. x

Emily,

Have you got an update for us?

Love to know how your little one is getting on.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back