The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is It Wrong To Expect Good Customer Service?

Myfairlady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Okay, this is not dog related but was looking to vent...here goes!

Bought my 2 year old a pair of shoes (£32!!!! :eek: ) After 4 wears (had them exactly 6 days) the stitching came undone!

I returned to the store just assuming I would get a refund/exchange...oh how wrong I was! The manageress was not only rude but she was aggressive and dismissive. She said that my son had 'obviously walked in them funny'! OH please!

So after explaining that any reasonable person would expect a pair of shoes to last longer than 4 wears, she informed me that there was nothing she could/would do!

I asked to speak to a regional manager and found out the store is one of two (does this serve me right for wanting to support my local community and not just head straight to John Lewis?).

I drove to the other store where the manager there had obviously been primed prior to my visit. He too was extremely dismissive...he said 'well if you let your kid kick a wall thats what happens'!!!!!!!!!!!

So now they have accused him of walking funny and kicking walls - Neither manager had seen him walk!!!!

I left the store and contacted Trading Standards (oh what lovely people!) and was told to quote the 'Sale of Goods act 1979.

After a day full of emails where I spewed legal jargon (burden of proof is with them to prove they were 'not' faulty, breach of contract, not fit for purpose etc etc....) the manager still insisted that he would not give me a refund and I was welcome to take him to court!

I pursued my case (thankfully I wasn't busy at work today!) I finally won! He finally saw the error of his ways and is sending me a refund!!!!!!!! A small victory maybe but it became so personal in the end!

Is there anyone that would accept a pair of shoes breaking after 4 wears?!

I came home, downed a glass of wine and took a nice long walk with Arnie! Ahhhh bliss!

Thanks for reading my ramblings and allowing me to vent!

Nite everyone.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: to the glass of wine

........ and well done for keeping the pressure on until they refunded you!!!

I find it amazing that a reputable vendor of goods of any sort should take this attitude ....... especially with childrens' shoes (w00t)

I presume you will be making the trip to John Lewis or Debenhams etc for the next pair of shoes :- :lol: :thumbsup:

I used to be customer relations manager for Bentalls dept store. You are entitled to a full refund if the goods are not fit for purpose. You shold expect reasonable wear and tear. Well done you for pursuing it. Maybe a piece in the local paper might warn others............................................?

Jinny, hello my friend...yes I will only be using department stores in the future! There was no way I would let it go, not only because of the money but its the bloody principal of the thing!

Juley, I wish I had come to you!!! Its amazing what you can accomplish when you use the correct terminology. Such a shame when I think of the amount of people who have lost their money to sharks like these, if only they knew their rights. Luckily for me I'm like a dog with a bone that won't let go when something like this happens to me!!!!!

Hope you're all well today

S

x

Sarah that is terrible that you were treated this way :angry: :angry: its outrageous that they could think that a 2 year old child could ruin a pair of

shoes after 4 wears !!!!

Good on you for pursuing the matter :) I wouldn't of given up either :-

Hope Arnie is still doing ok :huggles:

Well done you :thumbsup:

i would have done the same thing....... :thumbsup:

these people shouldnt be allowed to get away with things like that :angry:

No-one cares less anymore do they-?

drives me mad too-

had a similar experience with shoes a while back.....

It's not their own business so they're not bothered-

Took 'rank' vac-wrapped bacon back to a supermarket-nothing offered to compensate my travelling back to the store just a replacement.......and a half hearted apology....

Bad for your health getting wound up though isn't it?

8) Simpler just to follow them home from the shop and pot their windows Lol-Make you feel better too!

Karen

P.S

And while i'm moaning....why do people insist on having a whip round for coach drivers?

How out dated is that?

On a recent simple bloody shopping trip they must have collected £75-00 for him!!! Why?

He did bugger all for it-dropped us off-picked us up.

Barmy...

Well done to you!!!!

I would of done the same if i were in your shoes( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) sorry just had to say that!!

Honestly you done the right thing,like you said where do you get good customer service nowdays :( I used to served customers,always polite and have a good laugh,then they keep coming back!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well done to you!!!!I would of done the same if i were in your shoes( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) sorry just had to say that!!

Honestly you done the right thing,like you said where do you get good customer service nowdays :( I used to served customers,always polite and have a good laugh,then they keep coming back!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

same here 20pluss years in retail i have always treated customers with respect and you would have got a refund strait away with me 4 wears and they fall apart is not exepible its just good customer service to do this as you would go back to that branch again again but if I was you i would tell every one about this and they wont get much custom. I would all so write a letter of complant to there head office .

Thanks for all the replies. I have finally calmed down now! Oh and karen, I was doing all sorts to them to get my own back! There was mention of a dirty nappy belonging to a 2 year old being thrown somewhere it shouldn't have been!!!! :eek:

Anyway, with all that said, I just hate people being rude to me. I am a polite and extremely respectful person, I therefore expect to be treated the same way. I do not expect people to a)be rude to me or b) to assume I'm stupid just because Im polite! A personal victory for me to get the refund and in the meantime I have been telling everyone that would listen not to shop there!

Have a great weekend everyone.

S

x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back