The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lhasa apso - toilet advice needed

danzelle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone

I am new! I've registered to the forum in the hopes someone can help me.

I have a female lhasa apso who is almost 1 year old. For the first 6 months of her life she lived with me in my parents house (big rooms, plenty of space, big garden with grass and pebbles) - but in Nov 12 I relocated to a notoriously expensive part of Surrey and the property I could afford has very small rooms and no grass garden but a small yard.

Needless to say that my lhasa didn't take the move very well and I found myself almost consoling her for a number of months afterwards. The biggest effect the move had on her was that she suddenly stopped going to the toilet outside unless she was on walks. I put in hours (and i mean hours) of standing in the freezing cold, willing her to go to the toilet, praising her in the usual OTT ways when she did. Over a few months bit by bit she started to go outside on the yard concrete, although she never got to the point where she was as regular with her weeing/poop as when we lived at my parents.

Her first season came and then she reverted, stopped going to the toilet again.

Again, a 2 month period wore on where I was willing her to go to the toilet and she got to an acceptable standard (but still, not as good as when she lived at my parents house)

3 or so weeks ago she point blank stopped using the yard, again. there has been no major change to her or her routine. and to boot, she has decided that it is acceptable to hold it in until i leave the house and then she wee's and poo's on the floor.

I understand dogs not liking weeing or pooping on concrete, but why would she rather do it in our home?! Right now she has not been for a wee or poo since yesterday lunchtime - she went a number of times during the hour long walk I gave her. But since then, absolutely nothing. And she has since then had her dinner and now this morning her breakfast, but still.. no wee or poop.

When I put her in the yard i tell her to 'go toilet' in the exact same way i always have, and she literally looks at me like i'm stupid and just sits there. She was crate trained for the first 7-8 months of her life. I'm wondering if I should start putting her back in there?

Can anyone help me? Really at my wits end with this and I am out of ideas of what to do.

thanks guys :)

D

Gosh - what a nightmare!

Can you put in a small grass area in your yard at all?

Welcome btw - I am Anna :)

Hi Anna

Thank you for your reply.

I had toyed with the idea of a section of grass but i don't have anywhere to 'plant' it if that's what you meant, because it is literally just concrete slabs.

The dog took a liking to weeing on our outside doormat and eventually we had to throw it and replace it because it became very smelly, as you can imagine. So i feared that a section of grass would just be the same?!

D

what about a little section of that fake astro turf stuff? You could put it near a drain and hose it off every so often?

ok i just re-read your post, doing number 2's on astro turf would not be easy to clean. My dog did the same when i moved to a house with a yard, he only likes to go on soil. I just had to take him out for a little walk instead, in the end i was glad beacause it meant the yard/patio stayed clean. As it was only small, and it was nice to bbq out there!

I would take up a few slabs and turf it..... Get some dog rocks for her water and maybe give her a green-um treat every day to help with destroying the grass and then I would hose it down every couple of days....

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back