The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurcher shows

RichardDodd

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
It's a long time since I talked lurchers.
I was chairman of the Norfolk Lurcher Society in the heydays of the 80's and 90's. At the time we were one of the largest and well supported clubs in the Country. Is there anyone out there that remember those days and are still involved with lurchers?

Hello and welcome. Several of our members are lurcher lovers, I don't know whether they are near Norfolk though.

I have a Jack Russell terrier crossed with a toilet brush, I think that's a pretty close second to a lurcher :)

Nowhere near Norfolk but a lifetime lurcher aficionado. Too old for dogs now but many happy memories. I still go to lurcher shows, although with the recent demise of Countryman's Weekly, I don't know where they will be advertised now.

Nowhere near Norfolk but a lifetime lurcher aficionado. Too old for dogs now but many happy memories. I still go to lurcher shows, although with the recent demise of Countryman's Weekly, I don't know where they will be advertised now.
Hi Hemlock, I'm also dog less and have been for a few years but am seriously thinking of getting one again.
I now live in Northumberland so plenty of Bedlington crosses which would make a nice fireside companion, as the lamping and ferreting days are a distant past.
I think the shooting times has taken over the countryman's weekly so hopefully they will publish show dates. What part of the UK are you in and did you go to lurcher shows in the 80/90's.

Hello and welcome. Several of our members are lurcher lovers, I don't know whether they are near Norfolk though.

I have a Jack Russell terrier crossed with a toilet brush, I think that's a pretty close second to a lurcher :)
Hi Joanne, Thanks for the welcome, not in Norfolk now, in fact I'm probably closer to you than Norfolk as I live in Northumberland now. JR cross looks good just stretch his legs a bit and I think you could get away with it lol.

I'm another currently dogless lurcher fan. I did show mine a few times, in the south of England, when he was young but though he had a lot of potential, he did not have the right temperament. I can look back and laugh at the embarrassing moments now...

I'm on the SE coast, and used to go to a lot of lurcher shows. Happy times.

I'm on the SE coast, and used to go to a lot of lurcher shows. Happy times.
They certainly were. We used to get a few of the lads from the Sussex longdogs association come up to our shows. They were big into their racing.

We were supporters of Greyhound Rescue West England (now Forever Hounds). Used to meet up with all sorts of sighthounds on a regular basis. At the annual big meeting you’d have about 100 hounds behaving quite peacefully together - lying on their rugs together with no problem. Then a terrier would turn up…….!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back