The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Collie Owner

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a lab (he’s about a year and a half) that had diarrhoea exactly one week ago today. I contacted a vet that suggested it was a bug and to monitor him.

By Tuesday, he appeared to be getting better but Wednesday he took it again, this time with quite a lot of mucus. He keeps flipping between normal bowel movements, to softer movements with a lot of mucus. Tonight it was pure mucus.

I spoke to my vet again on Friday who told me it was nothing to worry about and suggested I add a spoonful of oil to his food to aid digestion but if I do that it’ll be worse!

He is in excellent form, doesn’t appear to in any pain, eating and drinking, playing with his toys.

His stomach is potentially a little distended (but I could be imagining this as I’m worried) but even that is minor.

I’m hoping if I can go to the vet with a suggestion, they might take it a little more seriously because what I don’t want is to leave it until it potentially gets worse.

Thanks in advance!

There's a product that's worth keeping in your cupboard called Prokolin (you can get it, or similar, at places like Pets at Home).

It's great for minor tummy problems, it's a probiotic that firms up poo.

If you have any natural live yoghurt in your fridge, you could try some of that for now. I'd use a dessert spoonful for a cocker spaniel sized dog, adjust as appropriate.

I second JoanneF's recommendation. YuDigest Plus is also good. It can take a long time for a dog's digestion to recover after an upset, and pre- and probiotics can help a lot.

Stress can also cause mucousy poos in dogs, so do consider whether there's been any stressful events in your dog's life recently.

a dessert spoonful for a cocker spaniel sized dog

Feeling slightly silly, having now properly read your user name ... it's been a rather long and stressful day!

I second JoanneF's recommendation. YuDigest Plus is also good. It can take a long time for a dog's digestion to recover after an upset, and pre- and probiotics can help a lot.

Stress can also cause mucousy poos in dogs, so do consider whether there's been any stressful events in your dog's life recently.

thank you very much :) He is used to me being at home almost all day every day with him. On Sunday (when this started) I had been out for a few hours and I think he had some separation anxiety so that could be the clue!

I can't remember the last time we had a mucus covered poo. I never worry about it and life just goes on as normal, whatever causes it in our case has never been an on going problem!
As mentioned by JoanneF, Natural "live" yoghurt is a good suggestion, this can also be used as part of a daily diet, during bad spells it will do no harm to use it twice a day. Goats live yoghurt may be better than cows. "Kefir"natural yoghurt, is supposed to be the best though.

I can't remember the last time we had a mucus covered poo. I never worry about it and life just goes on as normal, whatever causes it in our case has never been an on going problem!
As mentioned by JoanneF, Natural "live" yoghurt is a good suggestion, this can also be used as part of a daily diet, during bad spells it will do no harm to use it twice a day. Goats live yoghurt may be better than cows. "Kefir"natural yoghurt, is supposed to be the best though.

Thank you for your response :) I took him to the vet again today and got some paste and little man got an injection so here’s hoping it clears up whatever is going on!

What sort of paste? I ask, because the Prokolin is a paste, and it's a good thing to keep in your doggy medicine box

Yes, very similar I think.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back