The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy class nightmare!

eggr675850

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So, just wondering has anyone else struggled in puppy class? I’ve just finished week 2 of puppy class with my 17 week rescue puppy. He’s doing so well with his training at home. House trained, sitting, staying, gives a paw, loves meeting other dogs and people. Bit OTT though with his excitement with other dogs. The problem is the class. He just cannot seem to cope with the over stimulation. I can take the tastiest treats etc and he just cannot focus on me. A hall full of puppies is just too much for him. Tonight was awful, he just constantly wants to get to the other dogs and became that over stimulated he was trying to get out of the hall. He is not like this in any other scenario out and about anywhere. I left nearly in tears. Perhaps puppy classes are just too much for some and 1 to 1 training is better for some. Anyone else’s pup struggled with classes? Thanks

He just cannot seem to cope with the over stimulation.

Well done for recognising that. My dog, even as an adult, gets overstimulated in big groups in a small space. He was fine at scentwork because a lot of that was outdoors, but in trick training I must have missed half the training by having to take him outside to chill so much.

I'd speak to your trainer (assuming you are happy with them anyway) and ask to swap to a far smaller class or one to one.

Well done for recognising that. My dog, even as an adult, gets overstimulated in big groups in a small space. He was fine at scentwork because a lot of that was outdoors, but in trick training I must have missed half the training by having to take him outside to chill so much.

I'd speak to your trainer (assuming you are happy with them anyway) and ask to swap to a far smaller class or one to one.

Thanks ! Nice to feel I’m not alone. He tired so quickly there. I brought him home last night and he instantly fell asleep in the back seat and took ages to calm down on return at home, peed in a corner too as so hyped. Not the way to go for us I don’t think. One on one I think. Puppy classes are pushed now as if they are an absolute must for your dog. Good training is I guess, but that doesn’t necessarily mean puppy class. Feel brighter this morning, but last night I felt awful making him endure it. Thanks for feedback .

If it makes you feel better, when I first went to puppy classes I didn't realise how bad they actually were (I've learned rather a lot since then).

Ours started off with the puppies all running about (aw, how cute ... - erm NO!) They were already too hyped up before we started. There were far too many dogs, and no quiet areas.

When I later started with training in other things, with a far better trainer, class sizes were kept to a maximum of eight dogs, in an area where there were hinged panels that could either be folded flat against the walls, or opened out to create sort of booths for privacy.

If you are ever thinking of going to other classes (or for anyone in the future who might read this) a tip is to go along to classes first, without your dog, as an observer. Any decent trainer will be more than happy to have you do that.

I agree. This is clearly not the class for you and your pup, as a decent instructor would have seen what was going on and done something about it. Do shop around for something more to your puppy's needs. Word of mouth is the best way - and keep completely away from classes run by unqualified though well-meaning people such as vet nurses. Think about what you want from these classes.

I just had another thought. The Dogs Trust classes get a really good reputation and are reasonably priced. It might be worth seeing whether there are any near you.

Yes, my dog got overstimulated at training too. He was OK for the first half, but by then his brain was fried - I should have left at that point. There was nothing wrong with the class as such, it was just all too exciting for him.

I'm another fan of spending time either in a training class or out with any prospective dog walker you may want to employ on your own before you decide if it may suit your pups needs. Most, if not all, of canine care is a self regulated business... the good ones will encourage your observation as well as ask you a lot of questions so they can be sure what they are offering will suit you and your pup/dog too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back