The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sad Loss

Vicky

Maid Your Point
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
On Thursday night Mark's Billy broke his hock at Westhoughton, bless him, he went down at the first bend and still ran the full course and was wagging his tail / jumping up and licking us all at the finish.

We flew straight to the vets who was brilliant and we pulled him out of his pub quiz, on examination (still wagging his tail) he explained Billy had badly broken his hock and also snapped the ligament, this would have resulted in a complex operation involving pinning the hock and building a frame/scaffold on the outside of his leg but he fealt that this kind of operation would only be successful on a calm natured dog, as Billy was crazy, if it resulted in the leg / scaffold getting a nock we would be right back to square one (we were talking 6 months in a cage for god sake) and then possibly looking at amputation.

Mark talked me out of the idea and between us we decided the best thing to do would be to have him put to sleep, he had cuddles & kisses and some nice nibbles before he went. We are only grateful he did it whilst doing what he loved most.

We would like the thank everyone who has pm'd and phoned us to offer their condolences.

We both just want to get the next race out of the way with as soon as possible now.

Best of luck to everyone for the champs :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
how awful for you...that decision is never easy...thinking of you :huggles: :huggles:

so sorry hun :huggles: words just wont fill or ease anything at min so i wont even try , but i will say you done whats best for him , just you have the heartbreak to deal with :huggles:

you are highly thought of on here and im sure you will have the very best support from all your friends , they will help you through the awful time you are having :huggles: i dont know you but i sure feel for you :huggles:

vicky on behalf of all of us at NORTH DOWN id like to say you and mark were very brave in your descision. an absolute tragic end.

Sorry
hug4.gif

Usually I'd say Rest In Peace but I don't think Billy ever rested for a moment. He was one bouncy happy lad who had so much enthusiasm and lived life to the max albeit short. :(

Run free Billy. :thumbsup:

Love Jac & Dobs xxxx :huggles:

we where at westhoughton on thursday night and had the privilege of watching BILLYS last run , he was a beautiful dog , we are sure you made the right desision our thoughts are with you ,mark and billy

Mick Lynn Ashley and chloe :huggles:

its a very hard decision to make weve had to do it ourselves in the past but it s for the best, sorry for your loss mark and vicky :( R.I.P Billy. xx

So sorry to hear this Vicky, you made a brave decision to do what was best for your lad. We're thinking of you and the rest of your family

Run free Billy

Marie and Graham

Sorry to hear that news vicky but least billy sadly ended his life in what he did best ... run free billy :thumbsup: o:)

I am so sorry. I really feel for you as I have experienced the trauma and indecision you face in these situations :(

Be strong in that, without doubt, you made the right choice for Billy :)

Run free, Billy

I know how u feel vicky iv been through the same thing twice,gd luck with the rest of ye gang :thumbsup:

So sorry to read this sad news about Billy thinking of you both :(

So So sorry have been there myself when we had a kennel full of our and other people racers !

The only decision is the right one how ever hard . RIP Billy now running free forever

Lilibet

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back