The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Speying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a question...why a dolphin? Id love to be reincarnated as a wolf...but im wolf nuts so yeah lol.

Nice comeback lol. Dolphins are awsome, I loved the beginning of hitchikers guide to the galaxy. All the dolphins in that.

Lynn-Alexandria said:
Furthermore, I really dont see how me admitting that the majority of people get their dogs neutered which I still dont believe is true is going to stop this argument.  We should just agree to disagree and have an end to it.
I agree totally, even if majority of people (in the western world) do desex their dogs, that does not mean it is right (nor wrong for the matter). After all majority of people elected Bush and some other leaders (Hitler springs to my mind :- " ) and not many would argue they were right.

I do often get myself in hot water for not going with with the herd. I remember some 30 years ago being attacked and labeled a backyard breeder who does not do the right thingd by her dogs, all because I admitted not to inject my Danes with calcium. Worse, I actually tried to say it may be harmful to the dogs. But all the major breeders in that time with years of experience were overdosing their animals with some awful results.

Never accept something as a absolute truth just because majority says that it is so. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynn-Alexandria said:
Seraphina said:
Lynn-Alexandria said:
Y

Fair point seraphina, but from the people I worked with in the states they seemed not to get their dogs neutered unless medically necessary. The rules are going to be different in different countries.

That is interesting; which states were they from? And how long ago? My quite recent experience on Whippet Lovers and Snopes was quite different. It was all about that if I do not desex my bitches BEFORE their first season they will die of pyometra and mammary tumours and dogs of testicular cancer.

I agree with you seraphina. I was in the states from October until last sunday. The state I was in was Wisconsin. but from the discussion that I had with the vet it sounded as though most vets in the US share the opinion. I'm gonna mail him and ask him cause im curious to find out myself.

Lynn-Alexandria said:
Now hold on a minute...I did not bully anyone.  I merely stated my opinion and was thrown comments by you about living in another world.  I am far from narrow minded.  And I'll say this, there are people on this comm who are devoted to their dogs and will stand up for their beliefs.  But never did standing up for ones beliefs mean that they should be treated the way you have treated some people on this comm tonight. 
There was no need for you to continue fighting and even when I have said agree to disagree and that we should not argue you turned round and insulted me by saying that I was narrow minded and a bully.  What gives you the right to think that you can come on here and treat people this way?  All Dawn did was merely state an opinion and you started being rude to those who replied.  Do you expect us to just sit there and take such rudeness? No, we are going to reply.  We have a right to speak our minds, but there is no right for the sheer rudeness that has been viewed on here tonight. 

Once again I am going to say that we should agree to disagree becuase this is really starting to get out of hand.

i am not interested in discussing this further but as a last point

firstly "saying in the real world" is a statement not an insult

i was not calling you a bully

i was not saying you was narrow minded

i said that you have put yourself in the middle of an arguement i was having with others that i did not start and i was talking about other people

if you look at my history of posts you will see i am never usually rude...but if you took the time to read other members of this forums posts you will see how certain members (and not you) continually bully people

my only point with you is that you would not admit that the majority of people neuter their pets and you will not agree with that....that makes you entitled to that view .....but wrong!

im not discussing whether that is right but it is a fact!

please do not twist what i actually say

your comments to me have not been rude but some of them were incorrect...

if you think the average dog owner does not neuter their pets then we will agree to disagree

end of!!

certain members (and not you) continually bully people
I hope you are not referring to me?

I started this thread 5 days after my op the reason being the first thing that crossed my mind when I came round and I felt I needed to tell what it was really like the op that some people inflict on there dogs so lightly.

I did not intend on it iturning into a slanging match which is why I have refrained from posting for a while.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and a reputable breeder will always look out for the puppies they breed for the duration of their lives. I would hope that none of the dogs we have bred would ever end up in rescue as we would ALWAYS take them back and re home them ourselves and the prospective new homes would be fully vetted!

my vet has been 'speyed' herself! and she was discussing speying a bitch compared to a human- apparently due to the way the muscles run in people it will definitely hurt more than in dogs.

anyway- what i want to know- is do you spey your bitches after they have finished been used to breed? just at that age- say 6/7/8 the chances of pyometre are very high- and could easily kill a bitch of that age.

I will be speying my bitch once she has fully matured- say when she's 1 1/2 to 2 years old, i dont want her to go through a pyo. My friends dane has just had her first season, they were planning on not speying but- just at the end of this season she has developed a pyo, so she will have to be done.

people cant be critised for speying their bitch at the right time for the dog.

kris said:
i was in a hospital ward once (i was having female problems)and there was a lady in the bed next to me who had had a hysterectomy.my gawd,if ever there was an advertisement for NOT having the operation this was it.she was in absolute agony.i used to hold a piece of ice for her to suck cos they wouldnt let her have a drink.it was horrendous. :( is this normal or was there something wrong with her levels of pain? :blink:
No comment on the spayin thing.

I just wanted to say something about the differing levels of pain people experience. Sorry you're sore, Dawn. Get well soon, and take whatever pain relief you can (Voltarol is great stuff!)

Some women experience more pain than others because of the condition of their insides before the op - depending on gynae history, this lady that Kris mentions may have had a lot of 'adhesions' which the surgeon would have had to peel off in the process. He may well have had to seperate her uterine parts from other pelvic organs where they had adhered (hence the name adhesions). Adhesions are sticky fibrous bit which gum everything together :( and that kind fo thing happens because of past pelvic infections, endometriosis, perinatal complications, previous surgery including caesarian section. Having to divide adhesions during an op can make it very painful afterwards, but the poor lady should have been offered some kind of pain relief :(

Someone mentioned rough surgeons - most 'rough' ones get blamed when actually all that has happened is that they've had to be a bit firm in seperating the adhesions :thumbsup: which can be quite a tough job. I've assisted in ops which have made my eyes water.

Re the vertical incision, you can have one, but the scar is much thicker and there is more risk of your abdominal organs herniating out at a later date :x so best to be guided by the surgeon's advice at the time :thumbsup: You may not even need an incision at all, some hysterectomies can be performed vaginally (are we allowed to say that word in a medical context??)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dawn said:
certain members (and not you) continually bully people
I hope you are not referring to me?

I started this thread 5 days after my op the reason being the first thing that crossed my mind when I came round and I felt I needed to tell what it was really like the op that some people inflict on there dogs so lightly.

I did not intend on it iturning into a slanging match which is why I have refrained from posting for a while.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and a reputable breeder will always look out for the puppies they breed for the duration of their lives. I would hope that none of the dogs we have bred would ever end up in rescue as we would ALWAYS take them back and re home them ourselves and the prospective new homes would be fully vetted!

everyone is entitled to an opinion but when people give out information that is incorrect... as if it is a fact... it is very dangerous! especially for the average dog owner looking at this forum and thinking those views are correct....maybe the thread you started should have only included opinions about what YOU THINK dogs feel after being spayed ....you do not know how they feel but what we do know is that the proceedure is different and they do recover differently....THAT IS A FACT!.....comparing it to a hysterectomy is your opinion not a fact!

and i have never ever suggester that breeders should not be responsible and vet their pups new owners of course...i have never said otherwise!

however if anyone suggests on this forum that the average pet owner should neither neuter (or vaccinate..in another topic) their pets then god help us all!!

I can see all view points here, and of course think its right that any good breeder would wish to keep a tab on pups. Personally tho I wouldnt want to buy from a breeder that wanted me to sign a contract about speying. Not because I dont understand what they are saying but because if I pay a lot of money to own a pup I dont want to be possibly arguing with the breeder years down the line over ANY subject about MY dog.

Advice would always be welcome and listened to (regardless of a signed contract)but what if there's a situation that I think makes it approporiate for my bitch to be speyed but the breeder disagrees? I may never feel it appropriate, but if I did, I wouldnt be happy about asking someone elses permission (advice maybe but not permission) about what I can and cant do with/for my own dog.

The solution I suppose is dialogue with a breeder and 'respectfully' not do business with each other if views clash. Afterall we are all free to think as we like.

There must be many owners happy to sign contracts or these particular breeders wouldnt be able to sell their pups?

Each to their own.

After recieving a few complaints I am closing this topic. However, there were a lot of interesting views expressed too so I am leaving it visible for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back