The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Staffy problem

Alex Noble

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a staffy which is petrified of everything I can't get her to walk anywhere she anchors herself to the ground on my path and will not move I end up giving in and return back to the house she hasn't had a real walk in years

Hi, and welcome to the forum. We could do with a lot more information to try to work out why she is this way:

How old was she when she came to you, how old is she now, and what do you know of her background?

Was she always this way - have you never been able to walk her out of the house? What about if you take her somewhere in the car - does she put the brakes on and refuse to move wherever she is?

What is she like with other people and dogs - either coming to the house or outside the house?

What is she like generally in the house - active and playful, quiet, anxious? How about in the garden?

Are you aware of anything that might have frightened her in the past, or any bad experiences she may have had?

Could she have any joint pain/discomfort, or any other medical issues - has a vet checked her over?

What have you tried so far - e.g. bribing, cajoling, dragging - and how far have you got?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. We could do with a lot more information to try to work out why she is this way:

How old was she when she came to you, how old is she now, and what do you know of her background?

Was she always this way - have you never been able to walk her out of the house? What about if you take her somewhere in the car - does she put the brakes on and refuse to move wherever she is?

What is she like with other people and dogs - either coming to the house or outside the house?

What is she like generally in the house - active and playful, quiet, anxious? How about in the garden?

Are you aware of anything that might have frightened her in the past, or any bad experiences she may have had?

Could she have any joint pain/discomfort, or any other medical issues - has a vet checked her over?

What have you tried so far - e.g. bribing, cajoling, dragging - and how far have you got?
We got her at 8 weeks old she is playful in the house she is great with our other dog she was always nervous but has got worse as she she gets older she has been to the vet for her regular yearly injections we have had a dog behaviorist visit the house she regularly trembles when scared there is one place she is happy is a woodland park a 10 minute drive away we are 68 years old and the park is to much work for me and my wife we would like to be able to walk her around the block but that is not possible

How old is she now, and what did the behaviourist suggest?

Do you have a feeling for what it is she is scared of - e.g. people, traffic, dogs?

What is she like in your garden?

You could try this: Put her lead on, open the front door, and then just sit there watching traffic/people go by. If she's nervous of cars or people, you could give her a treat when they pass by. Then you do the same from just outside the front door, till you get to the front gate (obviously you have to adapt according to the layout - if you have no front garden, you literally take a couple of steps onto the pavement and go no further). At the end of the 'walk' (even if just a couple of feet) you give her a treat and head back home. The idea is that she's not being made to do anything scary but is only asked to go as far as she is comfortable with, so you build up very gradually.

We have tried everything you have suggested gave her a piece of liver for every step she took got around the corner then she would run back home, people have said that blue staffies have this problem because of the breeding.

She doesn't act the same way every time in the garden one day she will play fight with our other dog the next day she will look out the door afraid to leave the house.

It's absolutely possible that it's to do with breeding, temperament is inherited so if either or both of her parents were fearful, it can pass on to the puppies.

If she is happy in the woodland, I'd look at the differences between there, and outside your home. It might be traffic, noise, people, busy-ness if that makes sense?

Have you tried building her up gently to outside by walking at different times; does it make a difference if you go out when it is very quiet outside?

She has so many fear episodes it's hard to remember them all thanks for showing an interest bye bye for now 👋

You were probably going too fast, and using the liver to lure her further than she was really happy to go. That would be like putting a £10 note next to a big spider to get someone to go closer than they'd like to be - once they have the note in their hand, they'd retreat pretty quickly. This is why it's important to start in the doorway - or even just inside the doorway with the door open - and spend quality time together.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back