The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Teeth

Sus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have hade my rescue who is 10 yrs old for 2 years this July (thought it was longer, really seems like at times) She has had many health problems but at the moment it is her teeth and her allergies
She had 12 teeth extracted Sep 2002 and teeth cleaning, but after seeing her post anaesthetic I said I would never put her through anaesthetic again, however vet has said that she has got plaque build up again. I have tried plaque off which just di not work, 2 different toothpastes, bones from the butcher plus from Honeys where I get her food from, sinews, chicken feet, fish skin and antlers all without success as she would not chew on them
I did eventually succeed with raw chicken wings after advice from this site, I took advice from here and from Honeys about modifying her diet and started giving her a chicken wing on alternate days and it worked until she choked. She rolled on to her back and seemed to be fitting, I am not sure what I did, I think I turned her over and squeezed her chest, I shoved my finger in her mouth to try and dislodge whatever it was, I am still unsure if I pulled anything out or just induced her to regurgitate,it was a big bit of chicken and tissue ,not a bone. obviously I will not be giving her anymore. She is quite greedy and
I do not know who was more in shock, me or her. We were definitely not ok for a few days
I also have the problem of her allergies (as told me by the vet) for which she is on monthly Cytopoint injections
With the cost of the injections and her food I am trying to cut back on the vet visits (they seem to be very money orientated anyway) is there any food that I could give her at night which might clean her teeth?

Which dog toothpaste are you using? I really like Logic as it works and keeps working. It is very good.

I have got the Logic as it was recommended on this site but she just does not like me doing anything to her. I managed to get her to lick a tiny bit off my finger but that was as far as it went, she will not let me clean her teeth at all
I think I am just going to have to leave them and hope that if they do go bad that they just fall out
The vet has told me to watch her eating and that if she suddenly goes off her food then it could be that her teeth are causing her pain
I just thought there might be something out there to suit dogs that will not tolerate teeth cleaning. I used the Plaque off for a long time but it did not stop the plaque build up

It is very difficult when you've tried everything, hope you've both recovered from the choking incident! I can't think of any other things to try but maybe if the teeth are not bothering her with the plaque building up again, just play it by ear?
One of my little dogs, who is probably about 9 years old now, has a really bad plaque problem for the last 2 or 3 years but unfortunately he had near fatal reactions to anaesthetic and sedation so there is not the option of sedating him to sort them out. The vets did try twice with 2 different meds but both times he arrested and they had to bring him round quick sharp! He won't tolerate teeth cleaning etc and chews he will just bolt and choke(he is as mad as a box of frogs to be fair, the smallest min pin in the world!) He's still doing alright and eating ok, his breath is a bit stinky though...Love him to bits mind, I keep resisting the urge to buy him a leather studded onesie for protection when he stays with me, with his issues!:oops: I think he would totally rock it!😂

Thanks Flobo for your reply, your little guy sounds a character. I am definitely going to leave things for now and see what happens. I hope that she will be ok, If I sense at any time that she is in discomfort or pain then I will have to do something. Keeping my fingers crossed

I have hade my rescue who is 10 yrs old for 2 years this July (thought it was longer, really seems like at times) She has had many health problems but at the moment it is her teeth and her allergies
She had 12 teeth extracted Sep 2002 and teeth cleaning, but after seeing her post anaesthetic I said I would never put her through anaesthetic again, however vet has said that she has got plaque build up again. I have tried plaque off which just di not work, 2 different toothpastes, bones from the butcher plus from Honeys where I get her food from, sinews, chicken feet, fish skin and antlers all without success as she would not chew on them
I did eventually succeed with raw chicken wings after advice from this site, I took advice from here and from Honeys about modifying her diet and started giving her a chicken wing on alternate days and it worked until she choked. She rolled on to her back and seemed to be fitting, I am not sure what I did, I think I turned her over and squeezed her chest, I shoved my finger in her mouth to try and dislodge whatever it was, I am still unsure if I pulled anything out or just induced her to regurgitate,it was a big bit of chicken and tissue ,not a bone. obviously I will not be giving her anymore. She is quite greedy and
I do not know who was more in shock, me or her. We were definitely not ok for a few days
I also have the problem of her allergies (as told me by the vet) for which she is on monthly Cytopoint injections
With the cost of the injections and her food I am trying to cut back on the vet visits (they seem to be very money orientated anyway) is there any food that I could give her at night which might clean her teeth?
Have you considered dental chews or toys specifically designed to help clean teeth?

I'm sorry but can't remember if you are still using a raw diet or the chicken wings!
Results may not happen over night but it will be beneficial over time / months, and make sure that your raw minces contain bone too. I would suggest that you stop all man made treats and maintain a natural healthy canine appropriate diet, sprats or fish skins are lovely healthy treats, nice l o n g sheep and pig rib bones make good natural tooth brushes and can last for ages.
Have I ever suggested that you purchase the "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs", I probably have!
Look on ebay or Amazon they are very cheap but well worth while, about £3.

SORRY I have just looked at the previous post and noticed that a Quote of mine is mentioned. Doh!!

Thank you all for your replies, I have decided just to leave her teeth alone and hope for the best. I have tried everything now but she will not chew anything from chews to specifically bought bones, she wont let me clean her teeth and the plaque off did nothing. The only bone type thing she would chew on was raw chicken wings but she ended up choking on one of those after about 2 weeks and I am too scared to try again.
excuseme yes, I am still feeding her the Honeys raw food and there is crushed bone in that and the only treats she had were dehydrated liver and vegetables so I am just going to cross my fingers and hope that her teeth will be ok

I would be inclined to try a larger duck wing, these are not too small to choke on and would keep her teeth / gums in action. (Try; Natures Menu for these )
Dogs are just as likely to choke on kibble (I know you don't use it ! ) and frequently do choke on it if they are greedy eaters.
A nice healthy raw diet as you are using with bone included and none of the nasty treats, may well help prevent any further problems. It may just take time for results.

I have just bought a large box of chicken carcuses for our lot as a change, they love them.

I agree with you excuseme, she did take a couple of days to get used to them but once she did she went at them with gusto, all I saw was benefit as they were good for her teeth, it occupied her for about 45 mins and she seemed to really enjoy them. Thing is it was'nt the bone she chocked on but a large piece of sinew and chicken, she is just so greedy and tried to gulp down a big piece
It shook me and her up quite badly so no way could I try them again. It is a shame really

I did do that in the beginning JoanneF but she was not very happy to do that, she would lick them and pull at the meat but was not crunching the bone. I do not think I could let her have them again anyway, her choking scared me so much that I would not risk her having anything that is not chopped up small. I still try her with bigger bones but she wont entertain them

Forthglade do a plant based dental stick, any thoughts on maybe trying these? Here's their composition, do you think they sound ok? Just as opposed to not chewing anything...

Composition:

Potato Flour, Potato Starch, Vegetable Glycerine*, Vegetable Fibre (4%), Minerals, Dried Liquorice Root, Dried Algae (ascophyllum nodosum) (0.2 %), Dried Fennel (0.1%), Dried Parsley (0.1%)*.*natural ingredient.

Analytical constituents:

Crude Protein 3%, Crude Fibres 5%, Crude Fat 2%, Crude Ash 5%, Moisture 18%, Calcium 0.6%, Phosphorus 0.4%

Nutritional Additives:

Additives (per kg): Sensory Additives: Eucalyptus oil 1g, Peppermint Oil 1g.

That looks interesting for a dog that will not chew any bones !
And much better than those horrible "Bonios" and other man made bones/chews.

My vets recommend toothpaste with Chlorhexidine. It's normally a gel that sticks to the applied surface and it's antibacterial. You can apply with your finger to the gums and teeth or use a toothbrush if your dog accepts this .

All the best , Bradley .

I'd forgotten about the stuff you mentioned @WorkingDogFan , I've used that for one of my ferrets before who had a touch of gingivitis, with pretty good effect. I applied it just with my finger directly on to the gums, not always easy in a ferret but it was kind of do able! It does adhere to the finger too though, a bit like slug slime...:eek:😂

Thank Flobo, will def try the Forthglade plant based chew and will look into that toothpaste with the chlorhexidine. Am willing to try anything once on the off chance that she will tolerate it or like it. Have tried 2 different toothpastes, one of them recommended by a few people on here but she would not entertain it at all but one that will just stick to her teeth might work. She is hard work when I need to do anything to her. It is a struggle even to brush her, she will tolerate it for a minute or so now if I am very gentle and we do it before she has her harness on for a walk but thats about it. For a tiny thing she is so stubborn and independent. I have created a monster and am too soft to do anything about it

Following Mabel’s dental treatment three weeks ago i reintroduced chewing treats gradually. I was apprehensive with hide sticks covered with dried chicken but she only strips the chicken away. She’ll have a chew on the hide but then discards it - I do keep an eye on her. I used to give her Lily’s Kitchen Woofbrush chews which, following Flobo’s mention of the Forthglade veggie based chew, I’ll reintroduce under supervision. Best of luck, Sus. They do get into one’s heart.
1714512988255.png

Thanks RGC i totally understand your apprehension about different kinds of chews. I thought I had found the solution with raw chicken wings, she really did chew on them and grind them down, that was until she choked on a piece of chicken and sinew that she tried to gobble down. We were both in a state afterwards, stopped giving them straight away
Biddy had 12 teeth out in Sep 2022 so am really worried about the plaque build up that the vet said she is starting to get again. have almost given up but am going to try the toothpaste with chlorhexidine and the Forthglade plant based chew, if they do not work will give the Lilys kitchen Woofbrush a go. Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed I will find something that works

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back