The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Transitioning 8 month old puppy onto adult food

deka

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My BC is now 8 months old, I still have I think around a month of dry food left depending on how I use it and if I give her bigger portions, a relative suggested to give her more food as even though her weight seems just about right shes still slim and it may stop puppy wanting food 24/7.

Anyway a few days back I was away from home on holiday and underestimated how much food I needed and the same relative whom I was visiting at time gave me some adult dry dog food, the same day puppy went far more often and it was so soft it was almost impossible to pick up and she would squat for a while before going as much as a few minutes and even wanted out twice during night (most days its once and even then I think thats just routine as she just wees) to doo huge poops. Friday she was farting a lot and Friday night she had diarrhoea twice during night and a lot of farts Saturday and just water coming out and she wanted out every few minutes but only eventually went around 6pm for a small poop, today she wanted out a lot but only went when she woke, and not again until 8pm but was back to normal.

May be related but on Tuesday night she ate a tiny thin slice of lemon that came with a salad I got from a take away when I was scooping it into bin.

Relative did suggest buying pouches of food and giving to her twice a week to slowly introduce her to wet food.

So what (if anything) is it you're asking? Transitioning to a new food should usually be done gradually.

If you want small firm poo's and you are going to transition her to another, I would suggest trying a raw product :rolleyes:
It's a wonderful highly nutritional product, our dogs have evolved to eat this. Change over is easy.:)

Well I am unsure on how to maintain the raw diet but in past 2 weeks have gave her the tins of food twice a week, the Aldi own brand Cesar type. with about 10 tiny bits of dry food to stop her scoffing it in seconds and on those days and the day after she normally is buzzing with energy but also wanting to poop less.

Well I am unsure on how to maintain the raw diet
I am not sure what you mean you are unsure how to maintain a raw diet ....just be warned supermarket own brand tinned food is usually poorer quality ingredients

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you unsure of ?
If you need some re assurance with raw food, try this very knowledgeable little book.
"Honeys Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs" By Jonathan Self.
It is easy to read and understand and always useful for backup.
Purchase from ebay or Amazon for a couple of pounds ish! Although sold as used, many of these are brand new.
Another book that I like is "Work Wonders" by Tom Lonsdale. Again easy to read, from ebay or Amazon.

It's okay for dogs to scoff their food. It's in the design spec. They don't have to chew like we do.

I am not sure what you mean you are unsure how to maintain a raw diet ....just be warned supermarket own brand tinned food is usually poorer quality ingredients

I meant quantities and such, and yes I know supermarket food will be lower quality but its easy to gauge i.e 1 small in of food twice a day, or X amount of grams of dry food.

Have you read the article on the forum about raw feeding? All the basic info you need is there - or try the book that excuseme recommends.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back