The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Weight

RGC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is there a reliable website re one’s dog’s weight? I’ve stopped Mabel’s raw diet as she was experiencing bouts of squits. She’s now on kibble (complete) with some wet (Lily’s Kitchen). She’s getting 65g twice a day plus treats and nibbles. Her Bonios (2 per day) are 25g each.

Prior to this diet regime she weighed in at 15.8kg. Two weeks ago, at her half yearly check up, the vet said that she was overweight.

She’s now 14.6kg. She looks absolutely tip top. However I do need to know on what basis she could have been deemed as overweight. I have little faith in my recently incorporated vets practice.

Mabel’s a 7 1/2 rescued spayed whippet. When we first got her, in November ‘19, she was a bit of a porker (circa 19kg) as her previous home would just give her food to placate her.

Any pointers from experienced owners would be appreciated.

We might be able to give an opinion if you post a couple of photos, one square on from the side (standing), and one from directly above. How many of her ribs can you see when she moves?

I met a whippet the other day who was so large I thought he had some greyhound in him, but he was purebred - looking online, 15.8kg does seem a little heavy for a female whippet, but maybe she's a big 'un.

Bonio's will not help with the squitty poo's, they are grain based :eek:.
Ingredients are; (Cereals 90%,) 30% of this is whole Wheat, Fats, Animal derivatives and various sugars.
It's no wonder she gets the squits. I certainly would not blame the Raw meat products, it is more likely the treats and extras that you are giving her. I would suggest that you stop the treats.
What brand of kibble are you using ?

My friends 7 yr old whippet girl is 13.5 kgs ...as judy says we cant tell without a pic :D

We might be able to give an opinion if you post a couple of photos, one square on from the side (standing), and one from directly above. How many of her ribs can you see when she moves?

I met a whippet the other day who was so large I thought he had some greyhound in him, but he was purebred - looking online, 15.8kg does seem a little heavy for a female whippet, but maybe she's a big 'un.
Watch this space, JudyN. Will try tomorrow.

Bonio's will not help with the squitty poo's, they are grain based :eek:.
Ingredients are; (Cereals 90%,) 30% of this is whole Wheat, Fats, Animal derivatives and various sugars.
It's no wonder she gets the squits. I certainly would not blame the Raw meat products, it is more likely the treats and extras that you are giving her. I would suggest that you stop the treats.
What brand of kibble are you using ?
I take your point re Bonios but since I changed her diet to kibble (Eden) plus Lily’s Kitchen (wet) there’s a total absence of loose motions although she has been having Bonios. Although I do appreciate the simplicity of raw she wasn’t happy with the latest batch and I did get a partial refund from the supplier. As things stand at the moment I’d rather not rock the boat but I will look for a natural chew - NOT those fishy things.

Pig ears, trachea and paddywack can be fatty so you might want to avoid those. Would she take chicken feet?

Eden plus Lily's sounds like a fair exchange and stick to natural treats.

I use a lot of raw trachea's, they come with the deer plucks that we get, I would not say that they were fatty at all.
Could you still allow her raw bones, rib bones would be great.
Please remember that treats always have a nutritional value, whether it is good or bad and should be calculated as part of daily intake.
Let's hope that your changeover works for you both:)

That's interesting @excuseme, I wonder if the fat depends on the animal it comes from. I ordered some (a lot :() online and had to scrape the fat off. It looked like what my mother used to use in a chip pan :emoji_confounded:

Oh yuk! @JoanneF That's very strange. It had gone through my mind, what about different animals but it is only the windpipe! In the deer it comes from the voice box and down to the lungs and heart complex with no fat involved just plenty of gristle and tubes as it gets nearer to the lungs.

Oh, and chips fried in lard/fat tasted much nicer than chips saturated in oil :oops:

I am going to "Google" the trachea and see what they look like from different animals. Interesting.

Our 2 have a raw diet ...durhams raw gave them constant diarrhoea so I changed to nature's menu free flow and their complete nuggets and no more squirts :rolleyes:
Mine have one bonio each in the evening with no bad effects ...hope you find something that works for your girl;)
I think we are all so anal now over what we feed our dogs me Included ...when I was a kid our mongrel had one tin of pal with winalot biscuits and leftovers ...he lived until he was 17 ...still entire ...never had a vaccination and was flead if any were seen...

Pal and Winalot , that's what my parents used to use. And them I remember Chum for dogs and Kitticat for cats (we never had cats)

I remember kitticat ...wonder what happened to that ....

It was Kennomeat and Winalot in our house. Our Yorkie lived till she was 16, though she was deaf, blind, diabetic, toothless, incontinent and with a dodgy back end by then :eek:

We often get more hung up over our dogs' diets than our own, despite the fact that they evolved to be scavengers - pizza, chips and chocolate, anyone? :D

Let me jump on the squits train! Rusty has had it for two weeks, vet isn't being that useful so far. The problem is he wants to go out for a walk to do his business, he refuses to go in the garden. So last night we were out at 11pm, 2am and 5am for about an hour each time. We've had this for a couple of weeks and it's taking its toll now. Sorry to hijack.

Let me jump on the squits train! Rusty has had it for two weeks, vet isn't being that useful so far. The problem is he wants to go out for a walk to do his business, he refuses to go in the garden. So last night we were out at 11pm, 2am and 5am for about an hour each time. We've had this for a couple of weeks and it's taking its toll now. Sorry to hijack.
Are you still feeding butternut box.....

Pig ears, trachea and paddywack can be fatty so you might want to avoid those. Would she take chicken feet?
Since receipt of your suggestion Mabel receives a chicken foot after her breakfast and one at midday and thoroughly enjoys them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back