The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

WHAT DO U LIKE BEST

sherry

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:D WHAT DO U LIKE BEST ABOUT WHIPPET RACING? IS IT THE ACTUAL RACING, OR MAYBE U LIKE THE SOCIAL ASPECT, OR MAYBE ITS MEETING UP WITH FRIENDS? PERSONALLY I LIKE THE RACING THE BEST. I WONDER IF LIKE ME THE REST OF U GET A BUZZ WHEN YOUR DOG IS RACING UP THE TRACK? (regardeless if they win or not its the taking part that counts) MAYBE U LIKE THE WEEKENDS AWAY TRAVELLING AROUND THE COUNTRY. SO COME ON WHAT DO U ALL LIKE THE MOST? :*

:p dosent anybody have fave aspect of racing then? Just me? I enjoy the actual buzz of my dog racing dont know about the rest of u? :(

:D

i think that when u go whippet racing there is a great atmosphere also i'ts a laugh with your friends especially if youv'e not seen them for a while and well i just like racing anyway :cheers:

wen i was younger i used to like racing but now i dont like it as much! i like the social side of it now and meeting up with all my m8s cant beat tam n andy n jenno ago n beef n kev all gud lads!

:D Yep! Sherry there's nothing like the buzz!!! Personally, the nite before a race I can't sleep and on the day of the race I can't eat until it's over. The excitement gets the better off me. My girlfriend wonders why I put myself through it all. When the dogs go into the traps i'm literally shaking with anticipation.........must be a bit of a freak. There's no better feeling than driving home looking into the mirror and seeing my dog......with the victory feeling in your belly. :cheers:

I used to think winning was the best and meeting friend's but now just to watch the dog running up win or lose. To see thier little tail's wagging like mad on the lure, just make's it all worth while. :D

Also like the camping side a lot more now with the better caravan but not the driving there and back :(

;) no dazgail u r not a freak for about a fortnight b4 the derby it was all we were thinking of. Who would be there who would win etc? especially the no limit class. How would the dog run? would his injuries hold up? How would our young dog run against tough opposition? etc etc. I definitly know the feeling of victory in your belly lol and its great. Like susan says its also great just to watch your dog run. Got to say I dont like the camping side mainly because I dont sleep too well and I love my sleep lol. Never mind theres always sleeping pills or ...... I would prefer to stay in a top class hotel lol wishful thinking eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose everyone handles it different depending on their characters and natures. I think when you own and race a dog your feelings can be different if your dog has a great chance of winning a race if it traps well and runs to its ability. I race two dogs, one of which I just love to see him running and having fun...as for the other it's a bit more serious...maybe due to the fact that she has had approx 25 races and never lost.....which has got absolutely nothing to do with me......she just gives 110% everytime she races. I was due to race her at the BWRA Bend Championships at Warwick, but having travelled over to Warwick to give her a trial one week prior to the championships, a round trip of approx 750 miles and at a cost of £230, yes just for a trial, she came into season two days after i returned so i couldn't make the championships. Looks like i'll have to wait until around september/october to have a crack at the best of the english dogs.

Considering she travelled 12 hours prior to her trial and it was her first time at warwick not to mention first time using a kickboard she should be in with a great chance. Only time will tell.

:angry: typical that with bitches u just get them spot on and they come into blinking season. Wow your bitch sounds like a good one what is her racing name?

i WISH U WELL WITH HER. :luck: :luck: :luck:

a round trip of approx 750 miles and at a cost of £230, yes just for a trial, she came into season two days after
Eeeekkk - gutted or what!!!

:cheers: Thanks Sherry for the well wishes. Her racing name is Irelands Little Dream. For me she has been Little Dream come true cause she is my first racing dog and to have had so much success with her words can't describe. Her name wouldn't be familiar to those of you in England cause I havn't raced her there yet, but hopefully will soon. I think from reading the posts in the K9 community you are the proud owner of Mickey Whizz.....I hope i have got that right......He must be one hell off a dog...and you must be so proud of him. May you have many more years of success with him :cheers:

At leat he doesn't come into season :p

Yes Vicky I was gutted but the journey was well worth it, cause i now know that going by her time that she will be able to compete against the English dogs in her weight. :cheers: You all don't know just how fortunate you are to have so much races and racing events to go to. I envy you all on that alone.

Best wishes for the coming season :cheers:

i love lots of aspects i love the social side of racing i have made loads of new friends all over the country so i love to meet with them but then i love to race my dog the thril of walking up the track or loading him into the traps never knowin the result of the race is a great feeling :p

I can't do the quote thing but 750mile's , OH my god, your dafter than me. :p

Us from Scotland do a fair whack of mile's to race, and Devon is the furthest we have been to :eek:

What's your dog's breeding and what weight.

Hope to see you somewhere in England or maybe you could come to the Scottish Derby in July :D

:D hi dazgail yes u r right I am the very proud owner of Mickey Whizz. He is a no limit dog which in England means he is over 40lb in weight he weighs approx 50lb. In this weight class all dogs are off the scratch mark. Unfortunaltly I dont race him on the bends as he has had too many serious injuries. So I may not get to see Irelands Little Dream (is that right) Do u just bend race her? What is her racing weight? I look forward to hearing about her. :luck:

The thing i liked best about whippet racing was the build up to a paticular event, i would start and get so excited wondering how my dogs would race lol, i wasn't bothered if they won so long as they came off sound, winning was a nice feeling too ??? also we love the travelling and going up into the highlands to Dingwall was the best place we ever travelled to??? :p

Sherry, Irelands Little Dream, pet name Maddy races also at approximately 50lb. She was bred by Graham and Mandy Pendleton and she is out of Grahams Dream mated to Little Lyndz. Thanks for your interest. I have been very fortunate with her as she doesn't seem to pick up any injuries from racing. She seems to pick up all her knocks and sores when exercising of the lead. Last year i had to pay £300 to have the top of a babies milk bottle removed from her.....it didn't seem to affect her racing ability cause approximately 10-12 weeks after the operation she became the All Ireland Champion for the second year running. I raced her in England two years ago at the Chatsworth country fair which she duely won by 4 to 5 lengths.

I was due to race her in Scotland a couple of months ago at Ayr but once I found it was inside hare i decided to give it a miss but hopefully later on in the year i will race her across the water. Then i will get to met face to face many of those who i have met on K9.

I don't like to race her at straight races because i think the distance is too short for the no limit dogs and when the ground is very hard during the straight racing season the no limit dogs seem to be very injury prone.......i'm not getting at anyone but this is just my opinion so don't everyone start getting at me. :cheers:

Sherry, please tell me more about Micky Whizz, ie his breeding and racing success's and if you have a photo post it so i can see him. In fact anything you want about him. Thanx. :D

;) hiya dazgail just a little bit about mickey whizz. He was bred by ourselves out of our own 38lb bitch Whizziwig to 22lb Mickey Mouse hence the racing name. Whizziwig was bred from a1 Greyhound Bomoor Lisa to 22lb Crazy Cracker. The greyhound side goes back to Whisper Wishes. He was the only 1 in the litter. At the age of 19months he was runner up at the scottish derby to the great stormbird then at 20 months he was r up at the bwra champs to uncle albert. Last year at the age of 2 and a bit he won the ibm supreme scr, the lord byron plate no limit, the english and the scottish derby no limit. He sustained a nasty injury last year to his accesory carpol apparently the muscle had came away from the bone and we were told it was 50/50 if he would race again. So imagine our delight when after a lengthy lay off of 6 months he is racing again. He has had 6 races this year and won 5 of them. He has just won the english derby for the 2nd year. Hopefully he will add a title to his belt this year as he wasnt even able to compete at the bwra in aug due to injury. He is 3 now so as people say this should be his year I dont race him on the bends simply becoz he sustained a nasty injury to his hip on the bends at the age of 15 months he did however go round them ok. Im sorry I dont know how to post photos on here if u e mail me on cwhizzkidz@aol.com I should b able to e mail u some photos though. I hope I havent bored you too much. :*

:) No way you didn't bore me, it's nice to hear about other peoples dogs with their ups and downs and success's. It must feel really special when you have such a great dog and have bred it yourself. :luck: :luck: :luck: Good luck for the remainder of the season and hope Mickey Whizz remains injury free. You mentioned a dog called Uncle Albert, he used to race in Northern Ireland. In fact the fella who raced him was the one who introduced me to racing. My own bitch never got the opportunity to race against him cause when they were due to meet each other he sustained an injury.

From what i have read it's seems much more difficult to win on the straights because there is no margin for error so the success's of Mickey Whizz speak volumes of his ability, consistency and class. Hope you win many more titles with him and should you decide to breed of him that he passes these genes onto his wee ones :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back