The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

When Did You Start Whippet Racing ?

Martin Tucker

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My father bought me my first Whippet in 1974 ! A small blue and white pedigree bitch we named KIM. Her Racing name was WARNER REBEL and the first thing I ever won was in 1975 when she won a little silver spoon !

We used to run at the Surrey W.R.C. at Fetcham near Leatherhead.

Would love to hear of eveybody elses very first experiences in Whippet Racing !

we started about 16-17 years ago.

I was racing greyhounds at the time on the independent tracks, wife started pestering for a runty whippet :- " not wanting it sat around doing nothing we started racing/working it now theres no sign of a greyhound but weve a house of those runty little things :lol:

hi we started racing whippets 28 yrs ago my husband worked with greyhounds

i was a kennel hand he was head lad :)

when the old reading stadium closed we could of gone to white city but with a

young baby wanted to stay close to family.

missed the greyhound racing and a friend took us to wokingham football club

they ran whippet meetings on friday evenings. well that was us hooked

we paid 15 pounds for our I,st whippet she was 2 yrs old and called

zodiac lady lovely little bitch lived till she was 14 :wub:

we retired for a few years our eldest daughter jane with the deadlys carried on

must say it is nice to be back thanks julie for pushing us to return :thumbsup:

met a lot of old friends and made some nice new one,s

sorry if its a bit long windded :lol:

:) I've got nothing to add to this thread, but keep them coming it's very interesting reading. :thumbsup: Diane.

peppermint lady said:
hi we started racing whippets 28  yrs ago my husband worked with greyhoundsi was a kennel hand he was head lad :)

must say it is nice to be back thanks julie for pushing us to return  :thumbsup:

I guess that Sue and not Julie then - unless she was married as a babe :lol: :lol:

We went briefly to the Northern in 1987 when we moved to Lancashire from Hampshire - we only had two whippets then, a non ped, and a small ped. She took to racing immediately, and some people (probably just being encouraging and kind) said she looked fast - but it was an hours drive each way, and we really didn't get hooked. It wasn't until about 6 years later when we had bred some pups who weren't in the least bit interested in showing, that we took them to the Northern again. They enjoyed it so much that we were instantly hooked - they were Leaping Lucy and her sister Jumping Jenna who is still with us, and going on for 16 years old (we lost her sister much earlier). Once hooked we bought our first race bred pup Whiphaven Bubble and Squeak, now almost 13. Later we bought another pup Whiphaven Dangermouse from Andrew and Julie Brooks, and all our further pups have descended from her :wub: she is coming up for 11.

Don't know what we did before racing - it has quite taken over our lives :thumbsup:

June Jonigk said:
peppermint lady said:
hi we started racing whippets 28  yrs ago my husband worked with greyhoundsi was a kennel hand he was head lad :)

must say it is nice to be back thanks julie for pushing us to return  :thumbsup:

I guess that Sue and not Julie then - unless she was married as a babe :lol: :lol:

yes june can,t get anythink passed you mate sharpe as a tack :lol:

keep forgetting to sign my name it,s an age thing :oops:

julie keeps telling me off bless her :lol:

I can remember Wokingham Football Club well ! Bookies, photo finish, bar and food. Used to be a great night. I can remember the great WcRch. SAUCY SYLPH owned by Joy Fisher winning the first running of the Derby there !

Great memories !

Prior to Wokingham, the racing was held at Bracknell F.C. and I still have the small silver cup in my Lab that my WARNER REBEL won, beating the great WcRch. BEETLE in the final !

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember you racing with us Martin back in the early 80's :thumbsup: You had a crush on my sister Lisa :lol:

We started off with our two show breeds Lucy & Mitzi :wub: My dad, me and my sister Kellieanne went to pick up one from Mrs Gardner and we ended up bringing back two because my dad couldn't say no to us :wacko: My mum went mad when we came home with two whippets :unsure:

Then we got "Barra Boy" bred by Daphne Kitchen :D and then we got Cassie, "Blue Nun" :wub: bred by Tricia Billingham :thumbsup: Cassie was pts at only 4 years old due to having fits :( Towards the end my mum and dad used to say to me, she's going to have to be pts soon Jacquie because she is so poorly :( so I used to take her upstairs when she had the fits, just so my mum and dad didn't know :( Lily is so much like Cassie in a lot of ways :wub:

we had many good nights at wokingham martin tony laws the bookie gave us

some good odds :) our 1st pup came from the late jack reece he had pick of

a litter she was invited to run in the whippet derby won all her heats fell out of

the box in the final well thats racing :lol: sue

We 1st Started racing at Plumpton race course, thats when we 1st met Jack and Pat Hogg, and there sweet little girl Jacquie :- " who had Lucy and Mitzie :wub:

Then after a few weeks of going we were introduced to Daphne Kitchen, where she had these cute little pups in the back of her car :- " Pebbledash, Always Skint, Slighty Dangerous, and of course we had Chunky Chalkie :wub: we also had a little one of mrs Driscoll who bred our Prince Mischa which always gave 100% in Racing.

We started in 1981, :- " we also went to workingham racing but only went once or twice to the night racing :(

We have meet many people at racing and made lot's of lovely friends :huggles:

So if it was'nt for Jack and Pat, and Jacq girl we would'nt of meet Chalkie and Daphne.

So we owe it to them :thumbsup: and we still are going to all these meetings after all this time :thumbsup:

We started in the 80's too but it must have been a bit later than some of you as our first 2 whippets weren't born until '86. They were show bred and we started off showing but very early on we went racing and got hooked the very first time we went and I don't think we've missed many weekends since :D They were pretty slow but we had a lot of fun and like most people we realised that the next dog we got should be racing bred. It just went on from there...

The Bruvs said:
We 1st Started racing at Plumpton race course, thats when we 1st met Jack and Pat Hogg, and there sweet little girl Jacquie :- " who had Lucy and Mitzie :wub: Then after a few weeks of going we were introduced to Daphne Kitchen, where she had these cute little pups in the back of her car :- " Pebbledash, Always Skint, Slighty Dangerous, and of course we had Chunky Chalkie :wub: we also had a little one of mrs Driscoll who bred our Prince Mischa which always gave 100% in Racing.

We started in 1981,  :- " we also went to workingham racing but only went once or twice to the night racing :(

We have meet many people at racing and made lot's of lovely friends :huggles:

So if it was'nt for Jack and Pat, and Jacq girl we would'nt of meet Chalkie and Daphne.

So we owe it to them :thumbsup: and we still are going to all these meetings after all this time :thumbsup:

And still sweet of course :- " :lol: I guess we have Daphne to blame then for us not having any money due the expense of whippet racing (w00t)

Oh Yes Jacquie, whats the saying ???????????Butter would'nt melt :- " (w00t) (w00t)

But rearly if it was'nt for you we would'nt of had Chalkie :huggles: :wub: :wub: what a bargin :- "

The Bruvs said:
Oh Yes Jacquie, whats the saying ???????????Butter would'nt melt :- "  (w00t)   (w00t)
But rearly if it was'nt for you we would'nt of had Chalkie :huggles:   :wub:   :wub: what a bargin :- "

People know when they've upset me that's for sure :lol: I remember Chalkie really well :huggles: Those were the days :D

Martin Tucker said:
I can remember Wokingham Football Club well ! Bookies, photo finish, bar and food. Used to be a great night. I can remember the great WcRch. SAUCY SYLPH owned by Joy Fisher winning the first running of the Derby there !
Great memories !

Forgot to say our Time Finder dead heated with Kerry's Boy in the final of Woking Champion of Champions. I think that must have been in 1993 or 94. He really used to love the atmosphere of the music and the lights at night racing.

peppermint lady said:
was it sandra manders that owned kerrys boy judy
No it was Clarrie & Sue Hatcher. Your thinking of Kerry's Dream....I think :huh:

Jacquie,

I know you`ve seen this picture before, but for those of you that haven`t, here`s Jacquies late father, Jack pictured with myself, Kelly and BARRA BOY. Harvel 1980 !

harvel3.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back