The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whingy Cocker Spaniel!

Muckers64

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi. I’m new to this site and posting in desperation. We have a 6 year old Blue Roan English Show Cocker Spaniel. We got him from a good breeder in New Zealand and brought him back to the UK when he was 6 months old. He’s a cracking dog, very affectionate, not a bad bone on his body, but he whinges so so much and it’s becoming a real problem for me and my husband. He’s fit and healthy and is exercised daily. I’m seriously beginning to think he might have some sort of neurological issue. Before I go down that route, does anyone else here have a similar problem? I know the breed is renowned for being needy but it’s really becoming a problem and I’d hate to think he is in any pain or discomfort. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank you

Hello and welcome. Sorry, but a few questions might help us understand better.

Is it a new behaviour?

And can you tell us more about what leads up to it? He is trying to communicate something, do you have any idea what?

Hi, no it’s not a new behaviour he’s always done it. It just seems to be getting more frequent and intense. He’s not a barker - unless he sees cats or birds! I’m just worried he’s trying to communicate he’s in pain but he has no ongoing health issues. I guess why I’m messaging here is in case anyone else has similar issues. As I said I know the breed is needy but we’ve had one before and he was nothing like this. It’s really upsetting me as it’s getting us both down.

Oh absolutely yes, I have a whiner too, it's usually a 'feed me' because he has other signals for 'play with me' and 'I need to go out'.

Sometimes I offer him food and it continues, so it's 'feed me, but not that food'. Other times it's 'I know you are in the house but I can't find you' (yep, the bathroom door is closed for a reason ..). I used to be able to tell him 'it's fine, I'm here' but he is deaf now so I'm still working on what to do with that.

And sometimes, if I know all his needs have been met, it's ok to tell him to knock it off, it's quiet time.

I guess what I am saying is that if you have ruled out health problems, have met all his other needs, and you think it is just whining for attention (and I'm obviously not saying don't give your dog any attention, but we all have other things to do in life) you can train a settle cue. This video might help.

Is it possible that he needs more 'entertainment' than he's getting. That's not meant to suggest that you're neglecting him, of course, but you could try adding in some extra brainwork, sniffing games, interesting walks (to tire him out mentally rather than physically), etc. and see if it makes a difference. But some dogs do seem to like to make their presence felt.

Also, what do you do when he whinges? If it gets a response, even if it's you telling him to knock it off, that could be rewarding for him.

Thanks Judy, I do give him lick mats, and Kong treats - I guess we’ve just got a super needy pup!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back