The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wily old dog vs wily old fox

hanneroon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
am i being fooled into a false sense of safety by my crafty dog???

There is a garden that i work in that is full of badger holes and fox holes and pathways, and has loose hedges down one side that go through into next door. I've taken care not to let him off before making a lot of noise before i do and keeping an eye on his exact whereabouts. Even so, he has taken off after his imagination or a smell, into the hedge. Following him the other week, as he refused to come out, i caught him pooing down a foxhole. Both he and i came out stinking of fox, and i've been keeping him on a lead there since. Whilst i was at this same lady's house yesterday watering her indoor plants while she is away, my dog followed me into the room and i noticed him spot something through the french doors and another large window. It was a rather healthy looking fox about 6foot away, in broad daylight, digging through some pots. I opened the french doors to go and scare it off, (i think its healthy for them to be scared of us humans), and looked down to see dude, the mighty hunter skulking off, back to bed????? What the hells going on here then? Is he getting old dya think? He's 9 nearly 10, and i'm a bit confused, is he pretending not to care, so i let him off again? He's recently stopped chasing pigeons in the street too, which i'm a bit sad about, but i figured this was his failing eyesight , so i've been chivvying him along and shouting pigeon and making them fly up myself, which he seems to enjoy. :)

now i'm not saying i want him to chase a fox, the opposite in fact, but its been on my mind ever since. We have come across them before together, and he's always seemed pretty keen to at least follow them. He's even come across a poor old poisoned one, on an evening mooch, and (very bravely, ha!)barked it nearly the rest of the way to its end. just wondering if anyone has experience of a whippet giving up his chaseyness? He seemed fine today playing in the rain for a bit with his mates.... So am i being an idiot for questioning him being a good dog, i can't imagine a whippet deciding not to chase something, or at least have a bit of a bark, especially this one, or am i falling for wily old tactics dya think? Still not letting him off there again, whatever the reason. But i'd welcome your thoughts as to whether this is usual for a nine/ten year old whippet?

update: saturday afternoon, dude neglected to join in the chase of a squirrel round the walls of the big garden i work in, came back to me, looking all mopey. Now this has got me worried, :(

went for a long walk today in the freezing wind, and he had plenty of stamina, and had a bit of a run, didn't get too far off tho and nothing was about to chase, not even a seagull where we were.

He has had a tiny weeny cut on his paw, about two weeks old and very nearly healed up, so he should be full of beans, as i was poorly week before last too, so walks were a bit boring and slow last weekend, with him limping and me coughing.

He's always had such a hairtrigger, chase wise, that i'm worrying now.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back