The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Seriously Ill Whippet - Can You Help?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Paul Johnson said:
Just a quick update.
Ellie is very down at the moment, she is off her food and being sick. She is currently still at the vets but the problem still cannot be found.

She has lost a lot of weight and we are hoping that a cause can be found quickly.

Will let you all know whats happening again soon.

Paul

How terriblefor you :'( ,must be very worrying.Is the vet's close to you ? Would it be possible for you to visit her,sit with her for a few hrs each day or something.You would need to consider this option,very carefully,as it isn't always beneficial for their recovery,but you know your little girl best,and,how helpfull or stressfull this could be for her.

Keeping my finger's crossed for you both :luck: ,that she starts to recover soon and can be treated successfully,to have good quality life again.

Lyd

Best wishes and good luck Paul, we're all thinking of you both. :luck:

How is Ellie today Paul.I hope shes feeling better than when you last posted.We are all thinking about her here and send lots of :huggles: and :wub:

Gina Snoop and Gucci

keeping everything crossed for a speedy recovery :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Sending lots and lots of positive wishes Ellie's way, I hope they locate the problem asap and get this sweet girl well again :luck: :luck:

Please update us

:wub: Ellie is adorable! Ihope she feels better soon :luck: fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :luck:

Moo.x

I wish Ellie a speedy recovery :wub: She's a lovely little girl :huggles:

Everything crossed for your little girl :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Caz x

Thank you all for replying to this post and your kind responces.

According to the vet the leaking duct that she had has stopped leaking which is blessing. She is now not eating and is very thin and listless which is so sad to see.

She does eat sometimes but an hour later is sick which is usually a yellow bile colour so the weight is flying of her. The vets is nearby so taking her back and forth is not really an issue but I think she is getting a little fed up with being poked and prodded.

Yesterday the vet operated to have a good look around and took some samples to send to Bristol for analysis. He could'nt find anything that would tell him what the problem is. To us it now looks like a virus of some kind.

She is currently recovering from her little op and I will let you all know whats going on again soon.

Thank you

Paul

Paul Johnson said:
Thank you all for replying to this post and your kind responces.
According to the vet the leaking duct that she had has stopped leaking which is blessing. She is now not eating and is very thin and listless which is so sad to see.

She does eat sometimes but an hour later is sick which is usually a yellow bile colour so the weight is flying of her. The vets is nearby so taking her back and forth is not really an issue but I think she is getting a little fed up with being poked and prodded.

Yesterday the vet operated to have a good look around and took some samples to send to Bristol for analysis. He could'nt find anything that would tell him what the problem is. To us it now looks like a virus of some kind.

She is currently recovering from her little op and I will let you all know whats going on again soon.

Thank you

Oh Paul,I am so sorry.

Right,one of my whippy's,throws up yellow bile if his tummy get's too empty.I won't go into a long winded explanation,but,as a pup and young dog,he used to get up every morning and throw up yellow bile.

In your case,I suspect that perhaps she has become used to not eating,and,can't face anything.The worrying thing here is that she is throwing up after eating.

Have you tried feeding her small amounts,frequently ?

I would honeslty go back to feeding her like a young pup,4 or 5 tiny meals a day.

Also,I would start her day off,before feeding her any food,with a bowl of milk and honey.I know milk is not something that is usually recomended for adult dogs,but,believe me,this remedy works very well on any dog regardless of age with an icky tum.Use semi-skimmed milk,or goats milk,if you have full cream cow's,dilute it, mix about a 1/4 of a pint,with a desert spoon of runny honey.You may want to warm the honey slightly,to disslove it well.If she will lap this up of her own accord,allow her to do this,but maybe only give her half the amount in one go.If she won't drink it,use a large-ish feeding syringe,and syringe some into her mouth.Don't do it too quickly,or she'll cough and splutter and accuse you of trying to kill her  ;) .

After she's had some milk and honey,about 30 - 60 mins later,she should manage a small meal,and,more importantly,keep it down.

Is she still drinking ? If she still is,get some Critical Care Formula,from Vetark,and mix it up in her drinking water.

Also,if she has had a lot of antibiotics,maybe it is just a simple case of her gut flora becoming very un-balanced.Try mixing natural live organic yogurt,(just a spoonfull) in with her food.Or see if she'll lick it off a spoon........must confess,all of mine do  :b .

I do hope she starts to improve,so worrying having her like this,after her duct has stopped leaking.

BTW, I probably sound completely batty  :- " ,but,do give the honey and milk a try,it does work wonder's,and,in your girls case,certainly will not do any harm.

Lyd

Paul

UPDATE

Thank you all that have read this post and to all of you that have replied to it.

The good news is Ellie is recovering well, Ellie is in fact my parents dog who took her again to the vets nearly 3 weeks ago so that he could open her up and have a good look inside to see whether there was anything glaringly obvious. There wasn't at all and the biopses showed no clues either but within a few days she was eating again and full of energy and wanting to go for walks.

The vet said that this has happend a few times where he has opened up a dog and the dog has recovered from what ever complaint they had. You will all be glad to know that she putting the weight back on and looks so happy and alert, a few weeks ago she looked at deaths door.

Thanks again for your support

Kind Regards

Paul

Sorry to Hear of Ellie's illness Paul,it's horrible when one of your Dogs is Suffering.

I can't offer any advice but send our very best wishes for the situation to be resolved :luck: :luck:

Thats excellent news - long may it continue. :thumbsup: :cheers:

oHHHHH, so pleased, what a strange thing to happen. Perhaps it was a horrible virus? ;)

How wonderful that she is on the mend, you must all be so relieved. She is very gorgeous, and I expect totally adored by all.

I am so pleased for you all

Fantastic news Paul :thumbsup: i was wondering as not heard anything for a while :(

give her some of these from me :huggles: :thumbsup:

Oh that is good news, hope she continues to improve. She is a very pretty dog, :luck: :luck: :luck: with her.

Julie

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back