The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whippet Rescue

GemmaT

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone, while Pimms and I were at the horse trials at the weekend we met LOADS of other whippies! One of the ladies mentioned that there was a Whippet rescue place in Scotland/Cumbria.

Pimms has charmed my OH so much that he has decided that he would like a boy whippie!!! He would pref a rescue one as not fussed about showing or breeding etc and not looking to pay hundreds for it.

Does anyone know of this place or how to get in contact with them?

Think Pimms would love :D another whippie to play with!

Whippet Rescue (JR) in Scotland is organised by Annette Skelley on 10505 842123, she is the one to ask if you are looking for a rescue.

Liz Third said:
Whippet Rescue (JR) in Scotland is organised by Annette Skelley on 10505 842123, she is the one to ask if you are looking for a rescue.

Liz means 01505. Har fingers must be faster that her brain!!!! :teehee:

I didnt even know there was a whippet rescue in scotland, i have enough trouble seeing whippets around here and getting ppl to believe ive got one.

chelle123 said:
I didnt even know there was a whippet rescue in scotland, i have enough trouble seeing whippets around here and getting ppl to believe ive got one.

Me neither, think they could do with a website perhaps? There seems to be loads of people looking for whippies but not that many whippies to go around.......!

Most people wouldnt know a whippie if it jumped up and bit them...... I loose count of how many times I have been asked if I have a baby greyhound.........!

:cheers:

Don't know where you've been looking Chelle. I'm in East Lothian and Ive got 7, and I know pleanty more! Have you been racing?

honestly jean i have had blue for a year and in that year i have seen 3 whippets and someone who owns them and never when i have blue out running so the only time he gets whippet runs is when the mum in law visits then its amazing watching 4-5 whippets running daft and crabbit old tess snarling if anyone gets to close to her.

(w00t) I never knew there was a whippet rescue in Scotland (w00t)

Now I know where to send all the folk who are wanting our dogs :oops:

I have a few whippet owners in West Lothian,, who we meet on the normal walks :D , who know they are not baby greyhounds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chelle123 & GemmaT, come along to the Scottish Derby at Kirkcaldy on 29th&30th July and meet loads of whippets (w00t)

You and all owners will be made more than welcome :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have said in my last post that the Scottish Pedigree Whippet Racing Club will be holding its Fun Day for all dogs on Sunday 13th Aug, 12.30 for 1p.m. start. All welcome! Please try to come - its good fun!

I've heard of an elusive whippet rescue in cumbria, but I can't seem to find out much about it. Someone who lives a street or two away told me he got his whippet from their, I didn't think to ask about it (was too busy fussing the aforementioned whipet and whippetXpal to think to ask :- " ) and I havent seen him around lately but my partner saw him and said that the guy was telling him about a friend who had fallen for his pup so had got a rescue whippet from the same spot. It's a mystery to me though :blink: :blink:

Liz Third said:

As Liz posted yesterday the J.R. Whippet Rescue in Scotland is organised by Annette Skelly at the above number. It is not a secret society - in fact it is VERY active. Any enquiries phone Annette.

Jean, Where is the fun day? It would be great to see other whippets. There is only one other one in our village but i never seem to see it!! Dolly loves meeting other sighthounds especially on the beach.

Fogot to say.If anyone in Souht Scotland or anywhere else fancies meeting up at the beach or a good park, all us people that don't see many other whippets could meet up. Could be fun!! What do you think?

Gosh I seem to have opened whole can of worms! Spread the word about whippie rescue all, it seems like a good cause! :D

Who knows, maybe Pimms will have a new brother or sister from there in the near future! :huggles:

I will keep everyone posted if we get another one!

:cheers:

Scottish Pedigree Whippet Racing Club meets in a field near the Safari Park outside Stirling. Whippets from all over Scotland race at the club. We race approx April/May to Sept/Oct, in most weathers, every Sunday - more info available on request! Our FUN DAY (13th August) is designed to give owners and dogs some of the fun we enjoy with our dogs every week. It is lovely to see Deerhounds, Afghans, Daxys etc. racing. On the day we have burgers etc for sale. Registration and food from 12.30

Directions from Edinburgh side: M9 to junction 10, follow signs for Safari Park, before Safari Park turn right into OCHTERTYRE ROAD (its singposted). Come if you can, you will be made welcome.

just spoke to hubby i got a yes so if i'm off im there?

also were in the borders/beach cos it sounds like fun?

Hi,

Thanks Jean for the info i will put it in my diary. Dolly might enjoy racing. She loves us chasing her at the moment!! Chelle i live near Galashiels so loads of wild countryside around me. Dolly loves the beach and we often go up to Tyninghame beach off the A198 (just past east linton). It's great there if you go early and loads of sand for a nice big run around. Let me know if you fancy meeting up for the dogs to have a good run!! Jean probably knows the beach very well. :D :D

I have 8 whippets and they run ( not all at once!) on Belhaven beach and on Tyningham Sands most days except Saturdays (shows) and Sundays (racing), we sometimes meet up with visiting whippets too, so either of these venues would be good to meet up, plenty of parking.

never bn to tyningham will need directions but love the sounds of it just need us all free will be brilliant

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back