The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Frozen Semen Litter In The Us

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ms Molly said:
Yes I agree Karen, but there has to be a valid reason WHY Whippets are not as easy to get favourable results from frozen semen AIs.
The cortisone in the blood of a stressed dog can create false and misleading assay results. Also we don't rely on assay readings to do natural matings, and the window of opportunity is widdened due to using fresh semen that has a longer life expectancy.

I am going to open up another post for breeders around the globe to inform us of the percentages of frozen semen litters born in comparison to how many times breeders have had negative results, which could be interesting.

Hey, your vet COULD be right, but I don't care for the inference that Whippets are more easily stressed than some of the other breeds you named.

I guess I would need to see an assay of the cortisol levels--you know--hard DATA in order to accept this explanation without skepticism.

Here in the US, there are a number of bitches who are conceiving very well by frozen semen. I really think it's a matter of technique. It is more likely to me that Whippets, with their often drawn-out estrous cycles (how many other breeds are typically able to be productively bred naturally on day 19 or 20 (I've had a lot of Whippets which fall into that category)), are more difficult to PINPOINT ovulation on. That to me seems much more likely as an explanation for the failure rate you are seeing. I would not say that high failure rates with GOOD frozen semen or even fresh-chilled have been typical over here with Whippets. They are very expensive but so long as done by someone who is really good at doing the frozen implants and timing that surgery, and handling frozen semen, the success rate isn't that much less than fresh-chilled, and may be the same.

This was a very high-risk breeding because of the nature of the sperm itself and the time at which it was collected and frozen (I believe only two years after AKC even started allow frozen litters to be registered). There was quite a large litter out of Reign and Moxie shown at our National--another Reign litter of six was just born in North Carolina, and I know the Tatros had a decent-sized litter by Oscar, who has been deceased since the late 90's. All of that is from much more recently collected, more high-percentage viable/motile semen. Iva saved some breedings with Sav, and I think at least one of those frozen Sav straws resulted in a good-sized litter. I don't know if the Broadfoots used frozen or fresh-chilled in their two litters out of Pauline Oliver's dog Spyanfly Say No More, but they had good-sized litters, too.

I wouldn't say your vet is WRONG about the stress factor; I just have a lot of skepticism that Whippets are so much more sensitive. Some undoubtedly are, but I don't think it's a breed characteristic to be difficult to inseminate. Not based on what I'm seeing over here. Now, what I HAVE seen is that a lot of males don't collect very well. A lot of male Whippets just don't have sperm that freezes and thaws very well. So not every sire is a good candidate for storage.

Karen

4dayspups.jpg

Four days old...

They are lovely!

Monty says, if he starts saving his pocket money, can if have one if you don't want to keep it? :D

Preferably the boy :- " :lol:

The vet who gave me the information was not one of the two vets who did our inseminations. So no data is available.

You are probably right about the timing, and maybe that is what happened in our case.

Maybe I will bundle up my bitch, and semen, and bring them over there to be inseminated.lol

Thanks Karen, you have given us a little more hope for the future with our plans.

And your new babies are precious.

Molly

seaspot_run said:
4dayspups.jpg

Four days old...

Hi Karen,

They are absolutely stunning and very precious little people,I really hope that they are quality & you get to retain them both!

We are very lucky as we have Drake in our previous litter's ped,as well as having him in this litter that is out of our import & we also have another import who has Drake in her ped too as well as Rush. I think both dogs are among my favourites of all time.

I wish you all the very best with your "pupsicles" and can't wait to watch these babies grow up. :thumbsup:

Pamela.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Frozen Fatty McFattersons are 3 weeks old this weekend. I tried some standy-uppy photos. Not a lot of success, as they are too fat to be very standy-uppy, but here's what we got!

3wks.jpg

The bitch, Sorbet.

sorbet3wks.jpg

The male, Gelato (who is aka "Big Jelly")

gelato3wks.jpg

gelato3wks2.jpg

We are having a lot of fun with the frozen fatties.

Oh I missed these new pictures of your pupsicles. I went back into the topic to read about them again and found the new pictures :wub:

They are certainly coming on a treat and what a super name Sorbet is for the little girl, and what a little fatty Gelato is, they must be the cuddliest of puppies. :thumbsup:

Jenny

quintessence said:
Oh I missed these new pictures of your pupsicles.  I went back into the topic to read about them again and found the new pictures :wub:
They are certainly coming on a treat and what a super name Sorbet is for the little girl, and what a little fatty Gelato is, they must be the cuddliest of puppies. :thumbsup:

Jenny

:oops: Oh me too!!!!

The are just too gorgeous no wonder you are having such fun with them. They look so much like "Drake" babies especially Gelato! & I love their heads there is def no mistaking who is who,I really like a dog to look like a dog and vice-versa and yours certainly do & what wonderful bone too!!

PS...the names suit them!

Oh they really are adorable :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: look at their chests WOW

They are just gorgeous :wub:

Holy cow - Gelato is so well nick-named Big Jelly, I can just imagine how cuddly he would be with all those wobbly bits :teehee: Beautiful babies :wub:

Please can we have some updated pictures of these gorgeous chubsters? :wub: :thumbsup:

wigglesworth said:
Please can we have some updated pictures of these gorgeous chubsters?  :wub:   :thumbsup:
When I talked to Karen yesterday, her internet was on the fritz. Hopefully she'll be back online today with new pictures. I got the chance to see them at our Specialty show last weekend and they are SO cute and still SO tubby. :wub:

Kristen

wigglesworth said:
Please can we have some updated pictures of these gorgeous chubsters?  :wub:   :thumbsup:

The Frozen Fatty McFattersons will be six weeks old on Saturday, but we are leaving for two weeks vacation, so I might take stacked photos today or tomorrow. It is 100 degrees F here today! Not a great day for outside shots!

In the meantime, here is a five week old Frozen Fatty Fix. Just some cute shots of Big Jelly and Sorbet enjoying a much cooler day playing in and around our back porch:

000_3752.jpg

000_3732.jpg

000_3748_00.jpg

000_3740.jpg

000_3735.jpg

000_3746.jpg

And then it was once again time for a nap!

000_3754.jpg

Big Jelly is still pretty fat but his sister Sorbet is slimming down and starting to develop an underline-- :lol:

:D Oooooh, they are delicious!!! Thanks for the photos.

Have a lovely holiday :cheers:

Oh they're great aren't they? :wub: :wub: Are you sure some Labrador semen didn't sneak in (w00t) :oops:

I'm sure they'll slim down once they can run like whippets do :thumbsup: :D

I missed these pics too!!

I just absolutely love Sorbet - she is a beautiful girl. Look forward to more photos of them :huggles:

Thanks for the updated pics, they are absolutely gorgeous little fat puppies,I can't wait to see the stacked pics.

Enjoy your vacation.

Congratulations! :cheers:

Drake kids :wub: . They are gorgeous :wub: !

The pups are 5 weeks and 5 days old in this set of "stacked" photos. Big Jelly is still a very fat, soft, sloppy, squishy puppy...he may be part Labrador Retriever! :teehee: His sister has slimmed down a lot and has more of a Whippet shape. I think maybe naming a puppy Big Jelly was not the best karma for a hardbody physique! He is awfully cute though--you cannot resist picking him up and squeezing him.

I won't see my babies for almost two weeks as they go to stay with the co-breeder while we are on vacation. I will miss them! Maybe I will have to come back and visit with them here:

Big Jelly:

jelly6a.jpg

Bigjelly6.jpg

manboobs.jpg

Sorbet!

sorbet6.jpg

sorbet6a.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back