The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Omg Very Very Scarey Moment

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
That is awful Sharon, I am so sorry about what happened and thank goodness you and your girls are fine (thanks to your quick reactions).

I hate it when stuff like that happens, we have dogs (and their owners) like that round here ... trouble is it restricts when I walk my dogs, I end up going at times of the day when I know those people are not up yet. And then for the later-in-the-day walks, we go to the forestry, in the car. But it shouldn't have to be like that.

I hope the dog warden is helpful tomorrow.

Hugs to you all

Gill

sharon how awful and how frightening. :( im so glad youre all safe. :huggles: make a complaint about this and if they refuse to do anything remind them of what the judge said to the police and local council in the ellie lawrenson case this week about his concerns that when a pensioner and his dog was attacked by keir simpsons dog nothing was done.at the moment local councils and police authorities are on their toes about dog attacks.make sure they take your complaint seriously.youre lucky that dog didnt bite you when it couldnt get to your dog.this could have been a nasty ending :unsure:

You was really brave standing up to a Staffie Sharon, so glad nobody was hurt - i hope the dog warden is helpful - ours is very good

whippynit said:
Kurwenal said:
HOw awful - staffords are absolutely vile.  I have had one italian attacked by one while he was on his lead - luckily he had such an outgoing temperament he was completely unfazed!!!! - unbelievable A few months ago, I was walking 3 12 week Italian Puppies up the lane in my village towards the fields,when a staffie flew out of a gate and went for the puppies - completely unporcvoked and again they were on their leads.  It didnt get the chance to get them, but the puppies were territfied and are still generally quite nervous at 8 months old. 

These dogs are dreadful - IMo they should be banned altogether.  The can get out from tehir homes as in these cases and therefore even saying they hacve to be muzzled in a public place woudlnt work.  I know of a great deal of Italian owners who have had similar experiences and nearly alwatys with staffies. Staffies appear to absolutely loathe other dogs.

I know of another instance where a yorkshire terrier was sniffing at the bottom ot the fence of its own garden when a staffie passing by outside the fence got it by the muzzle, dragged it under the fence and killed it. 

They are just not safe at all.

' staffords are absolutely vile' and 'these dogs are dreadful' sorry, but i think this is a ridiculous sweeping statement to make :eek: Yes, dogs such as staffies can be dangerous in the wrong hands, more so than other breeds but to say what you have is very harsh IMO. No bad dogs - just bad owners i say! ;)

These are far from isolated incidents - I know of a great deal of such instances.

When you have had a dog savaged by one, and 12 week old puppies so terrified that they have lost control of their bladder and bowel function then perhaps your opinion may be different. My opinion is that it is not JUST down to the owners - yes, the breed attracts often the most unsavoury types, but these incidents are all too common.

THis is just my opinion, and one which not everyone will agree, but i stand by it, and it is one that will not change.

I know exactly how you feel, it leaves you feeling quite unnerved. My Siamese Cat was killed a month ago by the man up the roads Staffies/Staffy crosses 2 of them and there have been incident after incident with them. Unfortunately we no longer have a DoG Warden but a Community Warden and although she came out to see me our Local Authority will not take a prosecution or warn him. I went to see the man but nothing will happen I have been advised not to bother taking a private prosecution but may be able to get the cost of a cat - which is really not the point.

I also reported it to the Police but they logged the incident only.

I hate walking my whippets near there now .

I think when you have an incident you can't help thinking 'What if ....'.

It's a good job you were quick thinking otherwise it could have been grim :( -hope you're all okay

Sue

GOD!!!SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS!!!!!!! Every time i go out with Finn my heart is in my mouth worried sick that we will come up against an ignoramus with a big chunky staff on the end of some heavy juty lead or not!!!!!! my friends whippet has been attacked twice now!!! these people who can't handle these types of dogs should not be allowed to own them and when they are out and about they should definitely be muzzled.

Im so pleased the little fecker did'nt get hold of Jan you did really well to come away from that situation intact but you must be really shaken up

we got to do something

What an awful thing to happen to you and your dogs Sharon :(

Glad you are all ok :huggles: and well done you for being brave enough to tackle the staffie :thumbsup:

I dread to think what could have happened if you hadn't have acted so quickly :eek:

whippetgood said:
GOD!!!SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS!!!!!!! Every time i go out with Finn my heart is in my mouth worried sick that we will come up against an ignoramus with a big chunky staff on the end of some heavy juty lead or not!!!!!! my friends whippet has been attacked twice now!!! these people who can't handle these types of dogs should not be allowed to own them and when they are out and about they should definitely be muzzled.
Im so pleased the little fecker did'nt get hold of Jan you did really well to come away from that situation intact but you must be really shaken up

we got to do something

Any dog that seriously attacked another if its a staffy, or lab or alsation can make a mess - so why would you ban just one breed? where would you draw the line then? would you ban Rotties, Dobermanns, Akitas, English Bulls? :wacko: Ive seen nasty staffies, yes. but ive also seen nasty golden retreivers, collies, etc have a go at ' dangerous breeds' and the 'dangerous breed' just wag its tail and not bat an eyelid!

Im sorry youve had dogs seriously hurt :( If the same had happened to me id be furious, and wary too against the dog itself, and of course wary of others, but it wouldnt make me tar a whole breed with the same brush :eek: :wacko: :wacko:

i do keep thinking "what if" :( my poor girl would either be in the vets or worse :(

i agree its not the type of dog , any dog can be aggressive but at the moment staffies are very easy and cheap to get hold of , so many of them about , with all the press it always comes to light after a staffie has attacked etc etc .

i do not agree that some breeds should be banned but i do agree the law should be much tougher and FOLLOWED THROUGH !!!! most people will get a visit and a verbal warning but thats it :rant:

theses reports on ANY dog that has show aggression should be monitored not just a slap on the wrist and left to it :rant:

i have gone from being sooo angry to being really upset as to what could have happend .

my friend who was with me was shocked to see my reaction to the dog but as i say i defend my babies , human or canine .

i can safely say it scared the sh*t out of me :(

luckily ive worked with dogs a long time and luckily i did not panick , i just dealt with it .

wish it didnt have to be like this though :(

whippynit said:
whippetgood said:

we got to do something

Any dog that seriously attacked another if its a staffy, or lab or alsation can make a mess - so why would you ban just one breed? where would you draw the line then? would you ban Rotties, Dobermanns, Akitas, English Bulls? :wacko: Ive seen nasty staffies, yes. but ive also seen nasty golden retreivers, collies, etc have a go at ' dangerous breeds' and the 'dangerous breed' just wag its tail and not bat an eyelid!

Im sorry youve had dogs seriously hurt :( If the same had happened to me id be furious, and wary too against the dog itself, and of course wary of others, but it wouldnt make me tar a whole breed with the same brush :eek: :wacko: :wacko:

First off, if you read my post properly i have said nothing about BANNING Staffs i said irresponsible people should not be allowed to own them and frankly im getting a bit fed up with this stupid argument about all dogs can attack, yes all dogs can attack but don't tell me theres no difference between a staff attack and a labrador attack!! staffs and bulldog types are fighting dogs with massive jaws that lock on and don't let go!!!

when my friends dog was attacked that was the problem the staff would not let go and as luck would have it the bloody thing just missed a main artery!!!!

and as far as your "dangerous breed" wagging its tail and not batting an eyelid well probably it was owned by somebody very responsable, plus these stupid young punks who try to be hard don't walk about with Labs, retreivers,collies they have Staffs and Bulldogs and it would be benificial to dog walkers if these dogs in the wrong hands were muzzled when they are out. Something has to be done.

whippetgood said:
whippynit said:
whippetgood said:

we got to do something

First off, if you read my post properly i have said nothing about BANNING Staffs i said irresponsible people should not be allowed to own them and frankly im getting a bit fed up with this stupid argument about all dogs can attack, yes all dogs can attack but don't tell me theres no difference between a staff attack and a labrador attack!! staffs and bulldog types are fighting dogs with massive jaws that lock on and don't let go!!!

when my friends dog was attacked that was the problem the staff would not let go and as luck would have it the bloody thing just missed a main artery!!!!

and as far as your "dangerous breed" wagging its tail and not batting an eyelid well probably it was owned by somebody very responsable, plus these stupid young punks who try to be hard don't walk about with Labs, retreivers,collies they have Staffs and Bulldogs and it would be benificial to dog walkers if these dogs in the wrong hands were muzzled when they are out. Something has to be done.

About the banning quote - i know you didnt say that, i actually tried to click on a post above yours aswell and was replying to both. obviously i did something wrong and it didnt work :oops: the wagging tail of a dangerous breed actually refers to me as we have an english bull as well as whippies, and my dad had Rottweilers who were remarkably obedient, my dad and mum used to obedience show and it was their life hobby. My dads Rotties, in my opinion were an embassador to the breed and i especially flet proud to be out with them when we had all sorts of breeds having a go at them and they just walked on past and didnt bat a eyelid. So obviously these 'anti' comments are close to my heart, :( I do totally agree with you about a********s having 'dangerous breeds' as a status symbol, blah blah blah, It gives these breeds a bad name because of bad owners. I do agree that these breeds do need firm and experienced handling, im not denying that. I just dont agree that all these breeds should be banned, or muzzled because of some idiots that should not have them.

BTW, sorry Sharon dont want to start a arguement or anything on your thread :b :oops: I really feel for you and Jan and i would of done exactly the same as you :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
whippynit said:
whippetgood said:
whippynit said:
whippetgood said:

we got to do something

About the banning quote - i know you didnt say that, i actually tried to click on a post above yours aswell and was replying to both. obviously i did something wrong and it didnt work :oops: the wagging tail of a dangerous breed actually refers to me as we have an english bull as well as whippies, and my dad had Rottweilers who were remarkably obedient, my dad and mum used to obedience show and it was their life hobby. My dads Rotties, in my opinion were an embassador to the breed and i especially flet proud to be out with them when we had all sorts of breeds having a go at them and they just walked on past and didnt bat a eyelid. So obviously these 'anti' comments are close to my heart, :( I do totally agree with you about a********s having 'dangerous breeds' as a status symbol, blah blah blah, It gives these breeds a bad name because of bad owners. I do agree that these breeds do need firm and experienced handling, im not denying that. I just dont agree that all these breeds should be banned, or muzzled because of some idiots that should not have them.

BTW, sorry Sharon dont want to start a arguement or anything on your thread :b :oops: I really feel for you and Jan and i would of done exactly the same as you :thumbsup:

its ok , im finding it all very intresting , not an argument ,,, yet :))

i dont blame the dog , my friend up the road has a staff and she is the most wonderfully placid girl you could imagine , yes certain dogs need the correct handling as in the wrong hands they are a timebomb :(

just let the girls out in the back garden before bed and jan just stood there with her back up looking around :(

she has never shown agression to ANY dog or human and now the poor thing looks terrified .

she is now happily snuggled up on my bed but i hope this hasnt scarred her mentally . :(

ive just noticed what you said Kris that is lucky it didnt bite me when i kicked it , id never even thought about that untill i read your post :(

luckily it picked on the wrong dog and dog owner :thumbsup:

imagine if a little old lady was walking a yorkie or something :(

whippynit said:
whippetgood said:
whippynit said:
whippetgood said:

we got to do something

Well as you are apologising i accept :thumbsup: but you see you are saying that your family have had Rottweilers and he used to do obedience classes etc etc but there you go!!! sounds like powerful dogs in the RIGHT HANDS :thumbsup: i don't know where you live but im in London and there is a growing number of irresponsable idiots having Staffs, teaching them to be aggressive, swinging them out of trees as they lock on to branches and they can show their mates how powerful their jaws are its a trendy thing to have a powerful dog to attack and intimidate people this is the objective and its a recipe for disaster.

I would like to see some sort of vetting system for owning a powerful dog along with a license fee and if your an irresponsable twat you should not be allowed to own one.

I dont know what it is with staffies and whippets but in the 6 years ive had my whippet ive only ever had trouble off staffies. I cant stand to see one off a lead it drives me crazy.

Saraquele you did good defending your whippet like that.. i hope i would have such quick reactions, they are bred to fight, they should all be muzzled when in public.

saraquele said:
just let the girls out in the back garden before bed and jan just stood there with her back up looking around  :( she has never shown agression to ANY dog or human and now the poor thing looks terrified .

she is now happily snuggled up on my bed but i hope this hasnt scarred her mentally .  :(

ive just noticed what you said Kris that is lucky it didnt bite me when i kicked it , id never even thought about that untill i read your post  :(

luckily it picked on the wrong dog and dog owner  :thumbsup:

imagine if a little old lady was walking a yorkie or something  :(

Hi Sharon,poor little Jan can you give her a cuddle from us we are thinking of her and you as we know how you feel :huggles: its no joke and yes it could have turned out nasty for you as you've tried to kick this dog it could have bitten you.

But thankfully nothing like that happened and its over now :thumbsup:

whippetgood said:
saraquele said:
just let the girls out in the back garden before bed and jan just stood there with her back up looking around  :( she has never shown agression to ANY dog or human and now the poor thing looks terrified .

she is now happily snuggled up on my bed but i hope this hasnt scarred her mentally .  :(

ive just noticed what you said Kris that is lucky it didnt bite me when i kicked it , id never even thought about that untill i read your post  :(

luckily it picked on the wrong dog and dog owner  :thumbsup:

imagine if a little old lady was walking a yorkie or something  :(

Hi Sharon,poor little Jan can you give her a cuddle from us we are thinking of her and you as we know how you feel :huggles: its no joke and yes it could have turned out nasty for you as you've tried to kick this dog it could have bitten you.

But thankfully nothing like that happened and its over now :thumbsup:

extra cuddles have been handed out :huggles:

we are both shatterd , thankfully Bliss seems non the wiser , well she is blonde and it is Bliss were talking about :- " bless the poor dumb creature :wub:

Good bit of quick thinking Sharon , so pleased no one was hurt too .

b****y moron owners :rant:

I feel for you I Really do. This owner had no control and absolutely no concern if her dog got hit by a car or anything.

Milo was attacked twice on the lead when he was young by the same boxer on different occastions. He is now very fear aggressive on the lead with any dog "bigger" than himself (rhod. ridgebacks, rotties, boxers, weinermers (sp?) etc) or anything that "looks like" a boxer (bulldogs, mastiffs, pugs(!)etc). Hopefully Jan wont be affected like this. He is alot better off the lead, tends to make a wide bearth.

I still feel it is through the breeding of the wrong "characteristic" dogs and peoples lack of care and training. People don't give a s*** about how their dogs behave or who they hurt just as long as people don't tell them or then you'll get abuse. We're meant to be a nation of animal lovers but I honestly very rarely see any owner who loves and cares for their dog in the correct manner.

i have contacted our local council , what a waste of space :rant:

the dog warden only deals with stray dogs :angry: and cant be of any help in this situation.

i have rang the police and now have to wait for them to turn up whenever they can :- " i have a crime ref no but again it will be a slap on the wrist and off you go :rant:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back