The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Speying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I had my Dobermann bitch done because she was coming into season every monts and having horrendous phantom pregnancies that were making her very unhappy. The vet recommended we have it done. She recovered well after the operation. I also had concerns over mammary tumours as my mothers bitch has had them times. Every case is different, just my opinion!

IMHO Jok Speying for medical reasons is the correct thing to do but to do it for the sake of it then that is not

maybe if there were less dogs in the world you could pick and choose dog owners better and therefore have more responsible pet owners?...i do actually agree with you in theory if we lived in a perfect world! but even responsible owners have accidents?

(maybe my opinion is based on dogs in general and not in the small world of whippets which again is a fair comment from someone before that this is actually a whippet discussion)

This is always an interesting topic. I'd be really interested in what people would do in a couple of hypothetical situations. Here goes

1. A family approach you looking for a puupy or young bitch. They are experienced owners of Whippets and currently have a rescue dog , (neutered before they got him). He is about 6 and because of his past history is not very good with dogs though fine with bitches. Husband is a teacher and so has long holidays. Wife is at home all day. two great kids, 8 and 10. They own a caravan and go away every holiday as they enjoy walking. They would like to have the bitch spayed at an appropate age as they feel if she is in season when they are away the bitch would not be able to come out with them and enjoy the freedom she loves. It would mean either leaving her in kennels or not going away. Would you let them have a bitch from you?

2. You keep dogs and bitches indoors. At season time the bitch is kept apart from the dogs, she has had a litter and is now 6 and has finished her show career. She is very attatched to you and hates being shut up seperatley when she has a season. Would you have her spayed?

Like I said these are just hypothetical situations, I'm just curious as to what you would decide

Last edited by a moderator:
~whitecross whippets~ said:
lalena said:
is a bit like making all women get mastectomies (sp?) because they MIGHT develope breast cancer :wacko: of course there are many things which can happen by not spaying, but surgery should not be the first answer to hypotheticals. look at the family history..if a bitch comes from a line where such problems are the norm, then fair enough, she is more likely to suffer those problems :(   but in a healthy family, the likelihood of it happening is very slim. if a bitch is too small to have pups safely, then yes, spaying is the answer. ambers litter sister was such a one. but i'd still recommend letting the bitch have a season, maybe two, to allow her to mature.

if amber ever suffers uterine problems, yes i'd spay her, but i wont put her through surgery until needed. i'd rather leave her as nature intended.

nature causes earthquakes and cancer should we leave them too?

i agree letting a bitch have a season if the circumstances make that sensible but it is not like all women having a mastectomy because that is not the major reason for doing it ....

it is all the other reasons i said that make it important....you have ignored all the other reasons?

far from it! i'm not anti-spaying, but it shouldnt automatically be the first solution to a multitude of problems. cancer is nature, yes, but how many studies have proven that a healthy lifestyle can drastically reduce the odds of getting it? or if you get it, help fight it? everyone here does the best they can for their dogs.

as for earthquakes..sod all i can do to stop them, and certainly in the western world people have the choice of living in an area affected by them. for those less fortunate, give to charity.

lets get back on track. dawn has had an operation, and wants to share that pain in order to stop people spaying without good cause. and i think shes right.

spaying isnt halting the endless stream of rescue dogs :( the people who take in rescue dogs get thoroughly vetted. THEYRE not the ones we need to worry about! its the 'people' who bring them in thats the problem. until every last breeder is a thorough as rescue and ourselves, that stream will never lessen :(

far from it! i'm not anti-spaying, but it shouldnt automatically be the first solution to a multitude of problems. cancer is nature, yes, but how many studies have proven that a healthy lifestyle can drastically reduce the odds of getting it? or if you get it, help fight it? everyone here does the best they can for their dogs.

as for earthquakes..sod all i can do to stop them, and certainly in the western world people have the choice of living in an area affected by them. for those less fortunate, give to charity.

lets get back on track. dawn has had an operation, and wants to share that pain in order to stop people spaying without good cause. and i think shes right.

spaying isnt halting the endless stream of rescue dogs :( the people who take in rescue dogs get thoroughly vetted. THEYRE not the ones we need to worry about! its the 'people' who bring them in thats the problem. until every last breeder is a thorough as rescue and ourselves, that stream will never lessen :(

my point was that nature is not always kind

and keeping things natural is not always best :(

Juley said:
This is always an interesting topic.  I'd be really interested in what people would do in a couple of hypothetical situations. Here goes
1.  A family approach you looking for a puupy or young bitch.  They are experienced owners of Whippets and currently have a rescue dog , (neutered before they got him).  He is about 6 and because of his past history is not very good with dogs though fine with bitches.  Husband is a teacher and so has long holidays. Wife is at home all day. two great kids, 8 and 10.  They own a caravan and go away every holiday as they enjoy walking.  They would like to have the bitch spayed at an appropate age as they feel if she is in season when they are away the bitch would not be able to come out with them and enjoy the freedom she loves. It would mean either leaving her in kennels or not going away.  Would you let them have a bitch from you?

2.  You keep dogs and bitches indoors. At season time the bitch is kept apart from the dogs, she has had a litter and is now 6 and has finished her show career.  She is very attatched to you and hates being shut up seperatley when she has a season.  Would you have her spayed?

Like I said these are just hypothetical situations, I'm just curious as to what you would decide

!. Sound like a lovely home BUT the speying part for me would put me off letting them have one.

2. No I wouldnt have her speyed (one of the reasons we dont keep both sexes Juley)

When I was with my first hubby I had 3 bitches and a dog, if one of them came in season the dog would go and stay with my mum for a while. This is not always possible for everyone i know but that was how I used to manage it.

If either of these were for a medical reason I wouldnt hesitate to have them done but they are more of a convenience for the owner.

jools said:
Difficult one for me. From a rescue point, knowing how many are PTS in this area particularly, there is no option but to neuter, we can't home all that there are.Folly, mum to my 2 girls is also now nuetered, having seen a friends Afghan bitch with pyo, I never want to see one of mine with it.

Including rescues, I have looked after 32 neutered bitches (and 4 dogs), none have seemed to treat it as any thing other than inconvenient - being kept on lead excercise for 10 days after. Mia was neutered 12 days ago - if you had seen her running on Monday after she had had her stitches out, you wouldn't have believed she had been "done."

Any vet who will neuter a puppy wants their heads seeing to, they must be allowed to have a season first - they need to mature and know what sex they are. The rescues vets will not touch a bitch until she has had a season, they point out that on top of the reasons I have given, it is a much more difficult op. Everything is very small and much more fiddly.

I wonder if you had a "rough" surgeon Dawn, I was "done" several years ago and was back at work 2 days after, just a bit tired. A few years after that I had a full hysterectomy, I navigated on a very rough rally 11 days after - yes I felt it, but I would have done it again the day after. I really think you have been unlucky.

(Good Lord, I'm giving my medical history on k9!!!!)

I hope you are soon feeling much better,  :luck: we want to see the usual happy Dawn at shows!!  :luck:   :cheers:   :thumbsup:   :luck:

having worked in rescue myself i totally agree with all the above points :thumbsup:

i know that if my dog wasnt show type and worthy of breeding a good litter from then i would have it speyed .

this stops them having to not go for walks , not having male admirers after them and not escaping / running off etc .

my mum and dad has never bred a litter for years , never had a bitch speyed , never had an accidental mating etc , they have been vigilant so i can see both sides , just not many people with mongrels care as much as the people on here :thumbsup:

dawn said:
Juley said:
This is always an interesting topic.  I'd be really interested in what people would do in a couple of hypothetical situations. Here goes
1.  A family approach you looking for a puupy or young bitch.  They are experienced owners of Whippets and currently have a rescue dog , (neutered before they got him).  He is about 6 and because of his past history is not very good with dogs though fine with bitches.  Husband is a teacher and so has long holidays. Wife is at home all day. two great kids, 8 and 10.  They own a caravan and go away every holiday as they enjoy walking.  They would like to have the bitch spayed at an appropate age as they feel if she is in season when they are away the bitch would not be able to come out with them and enjoy the freedom she loves. It would mean either leaving her in kennels or not going away.  Would you let them have a bitch from you?

2.  You keep dogs and bitches indoors. At season time the bitch is kept apart from the dogs, she has had a litter and is now 6 and has finished her show career.  She is very attatched to you and hates being shut up seperatley when she has a season.  Would you have her spayed?

!. Sound like a lovely home BUT the speying part for me would put me off letting them have one.

2. No I wouldnt have her speyed (one of the reasons we dont keep both sexes Juley)

When I was with my first hubby I had 3 bitches and a dog, if one of them came in season the dog would go and stay with my mum for a while. This is not always possible for everyone i know but that was how I used to manage it.

If either of these were for a medical reason I wouldnt hesitate to have them done but they are more of a convenience for the owner.

in the 1st case , yes i would home a bitch , the thought of her having a lovely home would be my first and foremost concern .

2nd case , again id go for they spey , yes there is a risk of incontinence but my dads beddy / whippet , never had a litter , never speyed is slightly incontinent now , (12 yrs old ) and incontinence is not life threatening , pyo and cancer are :thumbsup:

only my H.O :D

saraquele said:
my mum and dad has never bred a litter for years , never had a bitch speyed , never had an accidental mating etc , they have been vigilant so i can see both sides , just not many people with mongrels care as much as the people on here  :thumbsup:
thats it, isnt it :(

Now here we have a classic arguement that us men best avoid :- " :- "

Anyway Dawn did your OH have you speyed for convenience ;) :- " :- "

Firemansam said:
Now here we have a classic arguement that us men best avoid :- "  :- "
Anyway Dawn did your OH have you speyed for convenience ;)   :- "  :- "

(w00t) No actually it was for medical reasons!!!!! (w00t)

Just u wait :rant:

lalena said:
saraquele said:
my mum and dad has never bred a litter for years , never had a bitch speyed , never had an accidental mating etc , they have been vigilant so i can see both sides , just not many people with mongrels care as much as the people on here  :thumbsup:

thats it, isnt it :(

i think its really up to the owner of the dog to decide whats best for their bitch ,every bitch is different ,and if its that much trouble about what homes you sell to and what you can and cant do with the bitch then dont bother to bred ,hope your feeling better soon dawn

and if its that much trouble about what homes you sell to and what you can and cant do with the bitch then dont bother to bred
We only breed a litter when we want something for ourselves! We take responsibility for the dogs we breed for life and try and make sure they go to homes where the dogs welfare is first and formost and will be looked after the way they would if they stayed here.

So in theory what u are saying we shouldnt bother vetting the homes they are to go too and once they are sold wash our hands of them??

I dont think so!!!!

If for any reason any of the dogs we have bred have to be re homed we always take them back in fact, that is stipulated in our puppy contracts along with the no speying unless for medical reasons policy.

dawn said:
and if its that much trouble about what homes you sell to and what you can and cant do with the bitch then dont bother to bred
We only breed a litter when we want something for ourselves! We take responsibility for the dogs we breed for life and try and make sure they go to homes where the dogs welfare is first and formost and will be looked after the way they would if they stayed here.

So in theory what u are saying we shouldnt bother vetting the homes they are to go too and once they are sold wash our hands of them??

I dont think so!!!!

If for any reason any of the dogs we have bred have to be re homed we always take them back in fact, that is stipulated in our puppy contracts along with the no speying unless for medical reasons policy.

im not saying that at all , im just saying if your selling your puppies to very good homes then you know that the people who have bought them would do whats best for the bitch , every body has different views ,but you cant tell others what to do ,youve sold the pup so its up to their new loving home to decide what they think is best,im not saying you should wash your hands of them at all

i was in a hospital ward once (i was having female problems)and there was a lady in the bed next to me who had had a hysterectomy.my gawd,if ever there was an advertisement for NOT having the operation this was it.she was in absolute agony.i used to hold a piece of ice for her to suck cos they wouldnt let her have a drink.it was horrendous. :( is this normal or was there something wrong with her levels of pain? :blink:

>maybe the average dog owner is not as perfect as you? wish the world was as perfect as you seem to think it is!

Remind us all again will you. It was you talking about having a balanced discussion on here without any bullying. :lol:

BeeJay said:
>maybe the average dog owner is not as perfect as you? wish the world was as perfect as you seem to think it is!
Remind us all again will you.  It was you talking about having a balanced discussion on here without any bullying. :lol:

Perhaps you can start replying to people without resorting to making personal comments. :thumbsup:

blimey....you think my wish for a perfect world is a personal attack on you! im sorry i must be more cafeful what i wish for in in future in case i offend anyone!

anyone got any views on ear cropping :- " (w00t)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back