The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wcra Talk-in

Rob Rixon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All (w00t)

The talk-in will soon be upon us - again

Any body got any ideas for the agenda?

How about a longer straight ! :))

I've been reading a lot about racing over 100 years ago - it seemed that the normal straight distance was 200 yards.

How about the first Champs being a straight ! :eek:

With the winter months to consider - getting our dogs fit and the problems with finding a bend track at that time of the year. It would seem to me that we should start with a straight.

How about the return of Rosette races? :unsure:

We used to run this form of Consolation racing - if would give some of the less able runners a chance - not compulsery - only if you wish. At the very least it would give you two runs for your money.

How about 3 wins before your whippet is a Champion!

Would it be a step towards getting RCh added to pedigrees by the KC. :blink:

This is a chance for you to get something you feel is necessary heard. By the committee and discussed by the racers. 8)

We thought we might throw in the idea of the WCRA having a charity bend meeting two weeks before the 1st Champs, to clear any dogs who need it, and give trials to those who need some practice. Maybe for a cancer charity - everyone knows someone affected by that.

Edited to say - longer straight sounds good :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the first champs was changed to a bend after a lot of people felt the ground was too hard around the time of the second champs. June's idea is a good one though.

I'd quite like to see one bend, two 150 yards and one longer straight at the champs as I think not enough people can get enough practice for their dogs on the bend these days.

Don't like 3 wins to become a champion. Hard enough as it is. Not sure getting the KC involved in running our sport is a good idea. I'm sure they would insist on a whole load of regulations and it would mean a big increase in cost for all of us.

Rosette racing - yes would like to see that.

I think in the light of the fact that the Kennel Club are making such a lot of changes with regards to the health of registered dogs they would not now tell the WCRA that they couldn't bring in a rule about refusing passports for progeny of cryptorchid sires. We did vote it in with a large majority at the talk in a couple of years ago. Maybe it should be brought up again.

How about DNA swabs to be taken by the seconder at time of seconding when the dogs is there to have its markings taken etc. and thus tying up the swab to the identity of the dog. Swab then sent off by seconder or WCRA for a profile to be done. That way if there is ever any question about identity or parentage of progeny at a later date, parentage testing can be done. Of course it would add about £15 to the cost of a passport but the cost of a passport hasn't gone up in years and I think most people would be fairly happy to pay it as the price of being able to retain confidence in the integrity of the passport system.

I agree with all of your points Judy and was thinking that very thought about breeding and health issues ie. cryptorchidism after the proposals put forward for change by the KC. I like the idea of a practice meeting, it is very hard to get some practice in though we are always accomodated and welcomed at the Indi.

The idea about rosette racing is a good one, it is very expensive to travel to the champs and enter, I never resent paying as we always have such a lovely time and it is very sociable. It is a bit disheartening to pay and to only have one run. I am just thinking about the time factor though, it might require an earlier start.

I know it is contentious, but I think change can be a good thing. I think it is grossly unfair that 2 or three weight groups have to run quarters. Surely in the mid-weight groups you could add an extra group or two so that there was no need for quarters. I found that we ran a quarter very soon after our initial heat and were subsequentely knocked out. I know people bang on about records, I am not saying do away with the existing groups, you could add a NE 21 and a NE 23, this would certainly ease the pressure and be a fairer system for the straights at least. I think the programme would run more smoothly if you did this too. Just a thought.

:thumbsup: brilliant idea june, i have missed the champs and 3 other bend meetings as my club has not run any bends, leaving me unable to clear 3 of mine for the bend :(

i think a charity meeting would be a great idea :thumbsup: would it be held a morton in marsh?

judy has also raised some very good points :thumbsup: i also agree winning 3 champs to beome a WCRCH is abit much, considering the 22lb and 24lb groups are so big, and usually have to run 1/4 finals as well :eek:

dna :thumbsup: wont do any harm can only be a good thing :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oooooo and I've got another one. Can you hear me jumping up and down :lol:

I know that the WCRA is an affiliation of clubs and it only talks to clubs but in recognition of the fact that clubs are only a collection of people couldn't the WCRA do away with the rule that letters have to go through the secretaries. It means that its the only way they have a voice but some people don't want their secretary, or indeed anyone, to know that they've sent a letter and it actually intimidates them out of sending it. And yes this really does happen. I don't mean the secretaries intimidate them, just the fact that someone knows.

Keep 2 bends and 2 straights, there are little enough bends as it is without loosing anymore.

Mark Roberts said:
Keep 2 bends and 2 straights, there are little enough bends as it is without loosing anymore.

Yes I'm with Mark on this one :D ......Rosette racing would also be good, as would a charity meet ..... As for the DNA testing, I think you'll find that a lot of people already have this done as its save fingers being pointed :thumbsup: .....Jealousy is a terrible thing :wacko:

Strike Whippets said:
Mark Roberts said:

Yes I'm with Mark on this one :D ......Rosette racing would also be good, as would a charity meet ..... As for the DNA testing, I think you'll find that a lot of people already have this done as its save fingers being pointed :thumbsup: .....Jealousy is a terrible thing :wacko:

Yes Hannah, myself and Judy have had our dogs/pups done, but I think the WCRA seconders taking the DNA taking would be a good idea - it's not jealousy, it's just that people are paying huge amounts of money to travel and enter opens nowadays, and people want to know that we are all on a level playing field. I for one wouldn't mind the extra £15 on a passport, to make sure we are all racing fairly :thumbsup:

June Jonigk said:
Strike Whippets said:
Mark Roberts said:

Yes Hannah, myself and Judy have had our dogs/pups done, but I think the WCRA seconders taking the DNA taking would be a good idea - it's not jealousy, it's just that people are paying huge amounts of money to travel and enter opens nowadays, and people want to know that we are all on a level playing field. I for one wouldn't mind the extra £15 on a passport, to make sure we are all racing fairly :thumbsup:

totally agree june :thumbsup:

I think £15 is a very small price to pay especially as it is a one off cost. As the technology is there, I can't see why it can't be used. Good point about the seconder, that makes it totally transparent. I would happily pay and the test is very non-invasive. It is a good point to bring up for discussion whatever people feel :thumbsup:

Yes good idea June ....Another one should be ALL dogs should be re-measured in at 2 years old ... Again that'll give us all a level playing field :- "

Strike Whippets said:
Yes good idea June ....Another one should be ALL dogs should be re-measured in at 2 years old ... Again that'll give us all a level playing field  :- "
Suggest it Hannah - there's an awful lot of big dogs out there :thumbsup:

Getting back to other suggestions again - I've always been a lover of bend racing, but would also like to see a longer straight - so I think for a change I would support the longer straight instead of one bend. My other thought is that veterans could do with some longer running - we were laughing at the Independent the other day when we were catching our oldies - they pulled up at about the same place as when the club runs a 175yd race, and all of us that were catching said we thought it was mad that once the dogs get to 6 - all of a sudden they can only run 100-150yds - just look at Trailblazer round that bend at the Champs the other week - he hasn't lost anything yet - not suggesting we have veteran bend racing, but longer distances when the young ones are running longer might be nice :thumbsup:

The letters through the secretaries is a daft rule - like Judy says it may be confidential, and haven't the secretaries got enough to do without being responsible for sending members letters too?

Glad you all like Steve's idea of a charity bend before the Champs - not sure if the WCRA committee will relish it though - we didn't race last time, but Steve went to help put stuff away, and some of the committee were well cheesed off I can tell you - that there weren't many offers of help. If we want to make it work - I think we would have to offer a band of volunteers to help pack the track away after :thumbsup:

The cryptorchid subject really should be looked at again - in light of recent publicity, I don't think the KC would prohibit the WCRA from witholding passports. It does seem to be sweeping through the breed, and the Whippet Club really should be looking at doing something to halt it :thumbsup:

I too think that one of the bend championship meetings should become a long distance straight. There are simply so few bend opens and meetings these days that having two bend championships is unrepresentative of the type of racing that we do these days.

re champions. Why do they have to win two championships to become a champion. This doesn't happen in Non peddie racing.

If a dog wins a straight championship group then it becomes a straight champion.

If it's wins a bend then it's a bend champion and if it wins both then it's a supreme champion.

I also agree about dogs being DNA tested at the time of their seconding. BUT I'd like to see permanent indentification of the dogs prior to their seconding and DNA testing too. Either tattooing or micro-chipping to link that dog with it's DNA swab.

I also agree about there being some kind of cons racing for those dogs that don't get through from the first round.

The WCRA measured the 30lbs group at the last champs and I understand that this will continue to happen to randomly selected groups at the champs.

BeeJay said:
I too think that one of the bend championship meetings should become a long distance straight.  There are simply so few bend opens and meetings these days that having two bend championships is unrepresentative of the type of racing that we do these days.
re champions.  Why do they have to win two championships to become a champion.  This doesn't happen in Non peddie racing.

If a dog wins a straight championship group then it becomes a straight champion.

If it's wins a bend then it's a bend champion and if it wins both then it's a supreme champion.

I also agree about dogs being DNA tested at the time of their seconding.  BUT I'd like to see permanent indentification of the dogs prior to their seconding and DNA testing too.  Either tattooing or micro-chipping to link that dog with it's DNA swab. 

I also agree about there being some kind of cons racing for those dogs that don't get through from the first round. 

The WCRA measured the 30lbs group at the last champs and I understand that this will continue to happen to randomly selected groups at the champs.

Oh, did they measure them all Barbara? We weren't there that early :- "

I don't want my dogs tattooed or chipped - I like them the way they are :huggles: Chips migrate, and tattoos hurt and are ugly :teehee:

Just thought - re your Champion suggestion Barbara - I've always thought a dog should be a supreme champion if it wins a bend and a straight. I was thinking of the record of wins situation - if you had a dog becoming a straight or a bend champion after one win, you could still have the group records - just a straight record, and a bend record. It might mean that some of the dogs who hold those records now like WCRCh Summa Breeze for instance - might even hold both records - I think it's a good suggestion Barbara :thumbsup:

All the 30lbs weight group was measured at the same time that they were weighed in June. There was a board in the tent and a set of bars.

i agree with mark roberts they should stick to the 2 bends 2 straights format. there are good bend dogs and good straight dogs why should the dogs who are better on the straight have the advantage of running only one bend at champs level. i dont speak as someone who only as good bend dogs as all mine love both :p (w00t) maybe the 2nd champs could be a 175 straight as some dogs prefair a bit further than 150yds. also schooling your dog around a greyhound track through the winter is a good way to get them bending well , we do this with all ours and it as done them no harm and they sure get used to the distance. i have found it gives my dogs stamina they all finish fast as they are used to 275 bends. :thumbsup: also dont agree with the 3 wins to be a champion winning 2 is hard enough, any dog that wins one champs is a champion in my eyes esp in the middle weight groups with quarter finals being run regulary to run 4 240 bends in one afternoon is asking a lot sometimes .

Excellent suggestion about the titles Barbara. It would make winning both a very special title and a huge acolade.

As for measuring, glad to see that the WCRA are randomly measuring, it stops tittle tattling and bad feeing.

Personally, I say bring in whatever is necassary to keep the sport transparent including random drug testing. If you have nothing to worry about, you won't have a problem with any form of check

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back