The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Wcra Talk-in

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
BeeJay said:
I too think that one of the bend championship meetings should become a long distance straight.  There are simply so few bend opens and meetings these days that having two bend championships is unrepresentative of the type of racing that we do these days.
re champions.  Why do they have to win two championships to become a champion.  This doesn't happen in Non peddie racing.

If a dog wins a straight championship group then it becomes a straight champion.

If it's wins a bend then it's a bend champion and if it wins both then it's a supreme champion.

I also agree about dogs being DNA tested at the time of their seconding.  BUT I'd like to see permanent indentification of the dogs prior to their seconding and DNA testing too.  Either tattooing or micro-chipping to link that dog with it's DNA swab. 

I also agree about there being some kind of cons racing for those dogs that don't get through from the first round. 

The WCRA measured the 30lbs group at the last champs and I understand that this

will continue to happen to randomly selected groups at the champs.

i agree with you that if a dog wins at a chapionship race meeting shuld be classed as a champion on the bend or straight then a supreme champ for winning both

squizzle racing said:
BeeJay said:
I too think that one of the bend championship meetings should become a long distance straight.  There are simply so few bend opens and meetings these days that having two bend championships is unrepresentative of the type of racing that we do these days.
re champions.  Why do they have to win two championships to become a champion.  This doesn't happen in Non peddie racing.

If a dog wins a straight championship group then it becomes a straight champion.

If it's wins a bend then it's a bend champion and if it wins both then it's a supreme champion.

I also agree about dogs being DNA tested at the time of their seconding.  BUT I'd like to see permanent indentification of the dogs prior to their seconding and DNA testing too.  Either tattooing or micro-chipping to link that dog with it's DNA swab. 

I also agree about there being some kind of cons racing for those dogs that don't get through from the first round. 

i agree with you that if a dog wins at a chapionship race meeting shuld be classed as a champion on the bend or straight then a supreme champ for winning both

Ummmm - do you think it could be backdated? :- " :teehee:

June Jonigk said:
squizzle racing said:
BeeJay said:

Ummmm - do you think it could be backdated? :- " :teehee:

hope so :- "

squizzle racing said:
BeeJay said:

[/quote totally agree with you on this one. :thumbsup:

That's it then, we don't need a talk-in we've sorted it all out.

Two bends one long straight one short straight, one charity bend meeting.

One win for a champion, one bend one straight for a supreme.

Rosette racing.

DNA testing carried out by a seconder, random checks on height or any other rule as seen fit by the WCRA

Oh and not forgetting Judy's suggestion about going through clubs to contact the WCRA.

Not a bad afternoon's work there. :- "

June Jonigk said:
We thought we might throw in the idea of the WCRA having a charity bend meeting two weeks before the 1st Champs, to clear any dogs who need it, and give trials to those who need some practice.  Maybe for a cancer charity - everyone knows someone affected by that.Edited to say - longer straight sounds good :thumbsup:

I've been corrected by Steve who says he said 3 weeks before the 1st Champs, as then if your dog was cleared you would still be able to enter the Champs - and possibly you could enter on the day :thumbsup:

i kwen steve was the brains of the operation (w00t) :- "

There is one more question I would like to ask, and that is why in the days of equality there are different height restrictions for dogs and bitches. Does it actually make any difference if it is a dog or bitch? I agree with the limit but think it is fairer to have it across the board. :thumbsup:

Joanna said:
There is one more question I would like to ask, and that is why in the days of equality there are different height restrictions for dogs and bitches. Does it actually make any difference if it is a dog or bitch? I agree with the limit but think it is fairer to have it across the board. :thumbsup:

often thought about this one myself jo :unsure:

as they run together in the same weight groups and everything else is the same i think the height should be the same for dogs and bitches :thumbsup:

i would like to see one 240yrd bend, two 150yrd straghts and a 200yrd straight. as people have said some clubs can get the practice for the bends a lot cant. also most you the people commenting on here have dogs but if you have a bitch that only does staights (like a lot do) and she comes in season you could only get one shot at a title a year.

Strike Whippets said:
Mark Roberts said:
Keep 2 bends and 2 straights, there are little enough bends as it is without loosing anymore.

Yes I'm with Mark on this one :D ......Rosette racing would also be good, as would a charity meet ..... As for the DNA testing, I think you'll find that a lot of people already have this done as its save fingers being pointed :thumbsup: .....Jealousy is a terrible thing :wacko:

yes im with you mark keep 2 bends 2 straights i also with have no problem with height redone at 2. As foR DNA i also have no problem with that and im not jealous :angry:

Joanna said:
Excellent suggestion about the titles Barbara. It would make winning both a very special title and a huge acolade. As for measuring, glad to see that the WCRA are randomly measuring, it stops tittle tattling and bad feeing.

Personally, I say bring in whatever is necassary to keep the sport transparent including random drug testing. If you have nothing to worry about, you won't have a problem with any form of check

I AGREE :thumbsup:

Something else I've just thought of ...... when you go to a talk-in, it would be nice to be able to vote for what you like, instead of voting as clubs. Most clubs don't ask their members what they think anyway. Shouldn't it be the case that if you can be bothered to go to a talk-in, your vote should count?

A couple of years ago Geoff Cook put in a suggestion - it was either cut down on bends, or do away with bend Champs, I can't quite remember - but he had to stand up and state his suggestion, but when it came to voting, as a Gloucester representative, he had to vote against his own suggestion because the majority of Gloucester members didn't agree with it. At the same time there was item on the agenda, and the Andover representatives voted the way they wanted, and not what the Andover members had voted for. As the votes are just for information anyway, wouldn't it be better to get the opinions of those who can be bothered to go and discuss the items?

Joanna said:
What would you want to do then? Higher the limit for bitches to match the dogs or lower the limit for dogs to bring them in line with the bitches?

In all breeds there is a standard that differentiates between dogs and bitches, and so I think it would be hard to bring this in. Interested to know what way people would go on this.

TCx

TC said:
Joanna said:
What would you want to do then? Higher the limit for bitches to match the dogs or lower the limit for dogs to bring them in line with the bitches?

In all breeds there is a standard that differentiates between dogs and bitches, and so I think it would be hard to bring this in. Interested to know what way people would go on this.

TCx

have to agree with tc

Well obviously you wouldn't lower the dog height! :blink: This is not the show ring, it is racing, I am just asking why there is a difference. Racing as we have seen has absolutely no parity to the show ring. Our dogs are not worthy of showing on the whole, they are bred to be fast and never mind the fly ears or the curly tail. The breed standard is not applicable to the sport in any other way so why differentiate in height? If some-one could give me a good reason, I would happily be persuaded to listen to them. One more thing, I would understand if dogs and bitches raced separately, but they don't unlike the show ring where they are shown separately!

I'm all fly ears folks :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
Joanna said:
Well obviously you wouldn't lower the dog height! :blink:   This is not the show ring, it is racing, I am just asking why there is a difference. Racing as we have seen has absolutely no parity to the show ring. Our dogs are not worthy of showing on the whole, they are bred to be fast and never mind the fly ears or the curly tail. The breed standard is not applicable to the sport in any other way so why differentiate in height? If some-one could give me a good reason, I would happily be persuaded to listen to them. One more thing, I would understand if dogs and bitches raced separately, but they don't unlike the show ring where they are shown separately!I'm all fly ears folks :- "

Um, I wasn't talking about the show ring, I was talking about the fact that one is a male and one is a female. There is a difference between the two in every species (yes, humans included although I now there are some rather butch women out there and some very effeminate men lol) and this is illustrated by the breed standard in ALL breeds of dogs. They are not the same height because that is not natural.

There is a difference, and my point was....do you want your bitches to be allowed to be as big as dogs, or do you want to make your dogs as small as bitches? You didn't originally state which so I wondered which way you were going on the road to equality.

Joanna said:
Well obviously you wouldn't lower the dog height! :blink:
So you are saying in the above quote that you think bitches should be 21" then?

There is a difference, and my point was....do you want your bitches to be allowed to be as big as dogs, or do you want to make your dogs as small as bitches? You didn't originally state which so I wondered which way you were going on the road to equality.

TCx

p.s At 99% of Open and Exemption shows dog and bitches ARE shown together

p.p.s I suppose my question to you would be...WHY do you feel they need to be the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joanna said:
Well obviously you wouldn't lower the dog height! :blink:   This is not the show ring, it is racing, I am just asking why there is a difference. Racing as we have seen has absolutely no parity to the show ring. Our dogs are not worthy of showing on the whole, they are bred to be fast and never mind the fly ears or the curly tail. The breed standard is not applicable to the sport in any other way so why differentiate in height? If some-one could give me a good reason, I would happily be persuaded to listen to them. One more thing, I would understand if dogs and bitches raced separately, but they don't unlike the show ring where they are shown separately!I'm all fly ears folks :- "

good post jo :thumbsup:

i think the bitch height should be raised in line with dogs to 21 inches :thumbsup:

as you say if you took a racing dog off the track and into the show ring it wouldnt do any good, the same as most show bred are not fast enough for racing, although they do enjoy it, most racer would always pick a race bred over show bred IMO.

i say have (as june puts it) a level playing field for racing whippets by having the same racing standards :thumbsup:

we do have a lot of 20lb racing dogs that come up alot smaller than some bitches :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Some interesting suggestions, many of which I would agree with. It is increasingly difficult to get any practice bend racing unless your club are able to hold bend meetings & I imagine that most people wishing for the continuation of two bends are in the envious position of being able to get regular practice on a bend track. I do love watching bend racing but do agree that 1 bend, 2 150 yard straights and a longer straight would be more representative of pedigree whippet these days (Im sure someone will come on with the stats to say different now).

All my dogs are passed to run on the bends but as they dont have regular racing on them I do not enter opens as I would worry about both them and their competitors due to their inexperience - I know others do not seem to worry about this aspect.

It would also mean a 3rd opportunity for veterans to run in a championship meeting which would also be a plus, especially for bitches who may miss one or more meetings due to their seasons.

Oh and the title of bend champion, straight champion or supreme champion sounds like a great idea, it would be nice to recognise dogs that are all rounders and can win in both disciplines as worthy of extra recognition, as well as the obvious benefits to us out here that own half coats. (I agree with you June, it will have to be back-dated Bend Champion Ross would be nice LoL)

Now come on people, get these suggestions to your secretaries.

peppermint lady said:
Joanna said:

good post jo :thumbsup:

i think the bitch height should be raised in line with dogs to 21 inches :thumbsup:

as you say if you took a racing dog off the track and into the show ring it wouldnt do any good, the same as most show bred are not fast enough for racing, although they do enjoy it, most racer would always pick a race bred over show bred IMO.

i say have (as june puts it) a level playing field for racing whippets by having the same racing standards :thumbsup:

we do have a lot of 20lb racing dogs that come up alot smaller than some bitches :thumbsup:

I am also one who feels the height limit for dogs and bitches should be the same. Raise the limit to 21" for both, im presuming the weight limit is 32lbs for both whether they are a bitch or a dog. And as previously said they run together anyway so why the need to differentiate? There are all different sizes of whippets out there be it bitch or dog. Seems more than fair to me to make it a level playing field.

Isnt the ruling for coursing that no pooch should measure over 21" regardless of sex??

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back